Need help identifying sizes and tunings!

Den

Reaction score
Hi all! I just joined this lovely group and wanted to draw on your collective knowledge! I've been playing a Gretsch G9126-ACE Electro-Acoustic guitalele for a year now - is that the same size as a tenor ukulele?

Also, I've been thinking of getting a sopranino ukulele, not for the size but for the higher pitch. My guitalele is tuned at adgcea. What are soprano ukes normally tuned at, and would it be ok to tune a soprano to the sopranino tuning? If that was possible, I think I'd rather have a soprano...

Hope to get to know you all soon - thank you!!! :)

Yes, your Gretsch has a scale length of 17", which is the same scale length as (most) tenor ukuleles have (sopranos are typically 13", concerts 15").

I think for a sopranino ukulele you'd want the the ADF#B tuning, though people also use GCEA with it. Today, most sopranos are tuned re-entrant GCEA, though ADF#B used to be the standard tuning (I believe in Canada schools still teach it, and at least here in Germany many courses are also taught for this tuning). Internationally, and as far as modern resources go, GCEA is the standard for soprano ukuleles (concerts, too). Either tuning is fine, though.

Thanks for that! I think I've made the mistake of thinking that, because guitars are bigger and tuned lower, there's a scale by which smaller instruments are higher pitched (like recorders). This pocket ukulele, though, does seem to get tuned noticeably higher, maybe up to E? Presumably, I'd get the same effect with a capo on the fourth fret on my guitalele? (Pardon my gross ignorance!)

There are no hard and fast rules for any tuning really - just some are more common than others.

I tune my sopranino to F tuning! (that is to say, CFAD). Why do I tune it like that? Well I experimented with various tunings and that one suits it best to my ears.

Top Bottom