Long neck soprano question

Crewpsu

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a string question about long neck sopranos. Would you use soprano strings still or would you need to use concert strings? Would it matter, and if so why?

Thanks,
Crew

Is there usually a difference between them? All strings I have bought so far were equally for the soprano and concert ukuleles. (If they were different, I'd get concert strings for my longneck because it has a concert's scale length.)

General consensus is to use concert strings. You are matching up to scale length and the longer concert scale requires higher tension to bring the strings up to pitch. This can be all thrown out the window with Martin M600 strings that say "soprano-concert"

Study string diameter. Some string makers use the same diameter strings for soprano/concert, some don't. Tension and scale length are kind of an important issue. If in doubt, get concert strings

I use Martin M600s on all of my ukes now, including my longneck soprano. As noted above, they are sold as soprano/concert strings - so I don't have to worry about it! :) I think Oasis strings are sold the same way (one size fits all) and there might be other string manufacturers who do the same.

FWIW, when I used to use Aquilas I often used their concert strings on my soprano ukes - I liked the higher tension and increased volume. I've also used tenor strings on concert ukes with similar results - what can I say, I like high tension. I'm sure someone will chime in with a warning that the higher tension can pull off the bridge, but it was never an issue for me and my luthier said it wasn't likely to happen unless I did something crazy like put steel strings on my uke.

And one more FWIW - I used to own a Kamaka Ohta-San which was in between concert and tenor scale. Kamaka recommended using concert strings rather than tenor, even though I would have intuitively expected the longer scale would respond better to tenor strings.

All of that to say - my opinion is, experiment a bit and eventually you'll find what you like best.

General consensus is to use concert strings. You are matching up to scale length and the longer concert scale requires higher tension to bring the strings up to pitch. This can be all thrown out the window with Martin M600 strings that say "soprano-concert"

At risk of hijacking the thread... Dave, where do you usually purchase your Martin M600's? Is there a Canadian source?

I just got my pineapple Kamaka and the former owner strung it with the Martins for me to try. I really like the M600's and plan to replace the worn strings, when the time comes, with the same,

At risk of hijacking the thread... Dave, where do you usually purchase your Martin M600's? Is there a Canadian source?

I just got my pineapple Kamaka and the former owner strung it with the Martins for me to try. I really like the M600's and plan to replace the worn strings, when the time comes, with the same,

Hi Erin

Unfortunately I have to get everything other than Aquilas from outside Canada.

Oh I just remembered Long and McQuad were able to order me a set of M600 but had no luck with M630. This was about 6-8 months ago but give them a try.

Hi Erin

Unfortunately I have to get everything other than Aquilas from outside Canada.

Oh I just remembered Long and McQuad were able to order me a set of M600 but had no luck with M630. This was about 6-8 months ago but give them a try.

I don't know if it helps the Canadian folks but, but - even though I'm in the US, my local shop is often out of stock of the Martins and so I often have to go online for them (even though I'd much rather support brick and mortar businesses!). I often find them on eBay, usually for much less than retail. Here's a seller with a great price who says they ship to Canada.

Thanks Janeray!

I did get excited for a moment there ....until I saw the shipping price! Really?' Over $12.00 just to mail a $5.00 set of uke strings!?

sigh....

guess it's time for a trip south across the line...

Thanks Janeray!

I did get excited for a moment there ....until I saw the shipping price! Really?' Over $12.00 just to mail a $5.00 set of uke strings!?

Oddly enough, the shipping goes down the more you order: for 5 packs, it's $9.65. He or she is selling the strings for about half of retail here in the States, so if you buy a bunch then it's almost worthwhile.

I'm such an enabler :)

Oddly enough, the shipping goes down the more you order: for 5 packs, it's $9.65. He or she is selling the strings for about half of retail here in the States, so if you buy a bunch then it's almost worthwhile.

I'm such an enabler :)

hahaha... a kind enabler indeed! Thanks Janeray!

Strings By Mail sells Martins and ships to Canada for less than $4

Well now that we have totally derailed this thread, I think that OP should give Martin M600 a shot. Obviously lots of us like them :p

Thanks everyone. Indeed I do plan to try the Martins, and Worths, Oasis, Freemonts.... So many choices. ;)

Top Bottom