Guadalupe wound strings for National Reso

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Has any one heard of Guadalupe wound strings for a style 0 National Reso and where to buy them? I read about them on the Michael Messer's ( the English Reso guy) blog. He mentioned that he had his 1930's National Uke strung with these metal strings.

Has any one heard of Guadalupe wound strings for a style 0 National Reso and where to buy them? I read about them on the Michael Messer's ( the English Reso guy) blog. He mentioned that he had his 1930's National Uke strung with these metal strings.

Here ya go.

http://thegcs.co/

Thanks for that. My Google must have been out to lunch when I searched. Unfortunately they are out of stock of all sizes and colours according to the website. I'll contact them to see what's up.

Thanks for that. My Google must have been out to lunch when I searched. Unfortunately they are out of stock of all sizes and colours according to the website. I'll contact them to see what's up.

I have heard good things about their strings, have been meaning to try them for myself.

I have heard good things about their strings, have been meaning to try them for myself.

I've sent a message via their website asking if they will be available again. I'll post their answer when I receive it.
My enquiry is for a friend who has just acquired a National style 0. I think heavy strings will be the go for this type of construction.

I've sent a message via their website asking if they will be available again. I'll post their answer when I receive it.
My enquiry is for a friend who has just acquired a National style 0. I think heavy strings will be the go for this type of construction.

They are a custom shop, so if they don't have any existing stock on hand they will just make whatever it is you need. I believe they say usually that would be a week or so. As for messages, I also sent an email and did not here back. I did call and got through that way though. I guess it is a really small shop, to bad, since they probably lose buisness by not having somebody dedicated to email and phones.

Good luck with the enquiry Hollis, I've tried a couple of times and haven't had any response.

They are a custom shop, so if they don't have any existing stock on hand they will just make whatever it is you need. I believe they say usually that would be a week or so. As for messages, I also sent an email and did not here back. I did call and got through that way though. I guess it is a really small shop, to bad, since they probably lose buisness by not having somebody dedicated to email and phones.

Doesn't sound promising. Too bad as they seem like an interesting product. As this is for a friend I guess I'd just advise him to find the thickest set he can find.

I used Guadalupe strings on an incredible Ron Phillips tenor reso uke that I had several years ago. They were round-wound metal core strings and they had a great sound, but they were fairly heavy & large diameter strings. It's a big change going from typical nylon or fluorocarbon uke strings, but they did have a very cool and distinct sound. I bought several sets and at the time never had a problem getting them since they were always in stock. Give them a call and see if uke strings are on their production schedule.

Doesn't sound promising. Too bad as they seem like an interesting product. As this is for a friend I guess I'd just advise him to find the thickest set he can find.

Just to follow up...I tried calling and did get through. Normally, when the machines are running during production they don't usually answer the phone but I guess I got lucky in that respect. I was told it is best to send an email, and they will respond. I mentioned that I, and others, have done that and did not hear back. She apologized and said they have been busy and are a little under staffed right now. That they will and do go through the mail and try to catch up.

Also they pretty much build to order, so if it says out of stock that you should request by email what you are looking for.

She did actually have a tenor set on hand, so I was able to purchase that one. She said the uke string guy was coming in tomorrow, so if I wanted more she could have him make some more. Not having tried them before, I will wait and see how this set goes first.

Your great! I replied to your PM with my details but also just sent another and your mailbox is full.
I wanted to remind you that I was after a concert set.
Boy, are the people on UU wonderful people!

I would like to put my request in perspective. I acquired the National style 0 from the Australian equivalent of Craig's list for a friend whose dream was to own one of these instruments. It was on sale at a good price and I let my friend know about it. He was short of funds at the moment and couldn't take advantage of the opportunity (not many of these come up here). I thought about it and having enough funds to buy it, my friend and I came to an understanding. The Uke arrived yesterday which meant I could give it to him before he flew out to his new job overseas. I presented it to him at our weekly uku jam at a local farmers market.
Here is a photo of him with his son. You can decide if he is happy.
image.jpg

I owned a national reso maple body a few years back and found the Guadalupe fibre core strings to be the best match for it.

Your great! I replied to your PM with my details but also just sent another and your mailbox is full.
I wanted to remind you that I was after a concert set.
Boy, are the people on UU wonderful people!

I sent you a pm, cleared out some space as well. The set I have coming is a tenor set though, will that work for you?

Top Bottom