Thinking new tenor! Kamaka/Koolau/Kanilea, or?

scooterguitar

Reaction score
Really starting to jive with my Koaloha super concert, so it might be time to begin saving and thinking about a great tenor.
Besides some of the smaller luthiers, the big 3 I'm interested in are Kamaka, Koolau, and Kanilea.
I prefer chunkier necks, deeper richer tones, and sustain.

Likley no way I'll ever play one unless I order, so I need your advice once again my partners in crime...

Good, bad, and ugly, let 'er rip:shaka:

Last edited:
Hey Scooter, you'll likely get tons of praise for all three Ks you mentioned. I have a Kanile'a that I'm crazy about, and I would recommend it to you, but it has a very thin neck. Almost electric guitar like (which I actually prefer and love). So if a chunkier neck is what you are after, perhaps another brand would better suit you. Good luck and be sure to post photos after you get your tenor!

Thanks wicked. I had thought the Kanileas were beefier?
That is what I don't like about my Koaloha, super thin neck.

ill take ur koaaloha if u dont want it:p:p:p

all i have is a cracked hilo soprano piece of crap:(:(:(

I have a pono tenor that I love..I think the neck is beefy compared to my koaloha tenor..maybe ko'olau is the way to go..I never played a kamaka so I couldn't give any feedback on that

Kamaka has a very slim neck. very comfortable. I've played a K2 Kanile'a tenor and I would say that neck size is pretty close to each other.

The neck thickness for each of the 3 brands seem pretty close. I believe each offer a different nut width though:

Kanile'a: 1.5"
Kamaka: 1-7/16"
Ko'olau: 1-3/8"

Depending on your preference, that might make a difference. My personal preference is for 1.5" nut width, although 1-7/16" feels about the same. I can definitely tell a different when it's 1-3/8", which is just a tad narrow for my tastes.

Thanks wicked. I had thought the Kanileas were beefier?
That is what I don't like about my Koaloha, super thin neck.

Wider, but not so deep...

I'm in the same boat as the OP, keep debating between the 4 K's for my first tenor.

I was strummin' a Koa tenor Pohaku today in a local music shop, beautiful ukulele, and on sale for $400.00 :eek: Very tempting. Also handled both a Fender Nohea, and Pa'ina, good bang for the buck. I was also VERY impressed with the quality and sound of the Koa tenor Honu they had on hand, very sweet sounding. Still can't get that $400 Pohaku out of my head, good thing I'm broke. :D

Brah, lucky ting I no stay ova dea, if i was I would OD on UAS . . .

If you have the money I highly recommend the Ko'olau but prepare to spend 2500$+ to get a good one in nitro or french.

Thanks everyone, keep it coming!
I'm in the $1k range, if I can even swing it, might be selling off some guitar gear soon.

BY beefier, I mean from top of fretboard to the back of the neck, not the nut width, but those nut widths are great to know as well.

Thanks everyone, keep it coming!
I'm in the $1k range, if I can even swing it, might be selling off some guitar gear soon.

BY beefier, I mean from top of fretboard to the back of the neck, not the nut width, but those nut widths are great to know as well.

In the $1k range, you could get a "not so basic" tenor from Chuck Moore. Those look like an outstanding buy at that price, although they've been going up pretty steadily.

I recommend you check out LoPrinzi. I did a side-by-side comparison of Ko'olau, Kamaka, and LoPrinzi when I was in the market for a tenor. The LoPrinzi had the best volume and tonal complexity. The construction quality is first-rate, too.
Mika

Top Bottom