Strumming with index finger

hibiscus

Reaction score
Late in the game, I am strumming with my index finger for quick chords, back-and-forth. If you strum this way, do you let your fingernail touch the string? I guess the only other choice is to trim my fingernail back. Thank you for your help.

I leave my fingernail long which allows me to use the nail or the pad when doing an upstroke. I also pick so I need that nail to provide a brighter sound.

I keep my fingernails trimmed short, but my index finger generally touches the strings when I strum down, and the fleshy part of my finger touches the strings when I strum up. Sometimes that's a decision I make, to get the different sound of strumming with a nail. I occasionally strum down with the side of my index finger if I want a softer sound on the downstrum.

Thank you for responding; it really helps me to think it through with your advice.

I keep my fingernails trimmed short, but my index finger generally touches the strings when I strum down, and the fleshy part of my finger touches the strings when I strum up. Sometimes that's a decision I make, to get the different sound of strumming with a nail. I occasionally strum down with the side of my index finger if I want a softer sound on the downstrum.

This is basically what I do. I think it is a fallout from years of strumming a guitar with a pick. My thumb supports the index finger in the same manner as if I have a pick but further up the finger. That said I have been trying to incorporating more of a thumb down/index finger up approach especially when integrating finger picking with strumming. It is still a work in progress.

Strumming with nails can give a brighter and more harsh sound, sometimes it is good and sometimes not. I think it is important to be able to strum without the use of nails if a more mellow sound is desired.

John

Funny, when I first started playing the ukulele, I used my thumb exclusively on the downstroke. When I wanted to change to my index finger, I had to consciously pretend that I was holding a pick. I generally hit on the nail which is short. (Or on the side if I want a quieter strum or if my nail is wearing down super low). I now find it hard to reincorporate the thumb strum back into my armamentarium. It feels weird.

Yes, my fingernail hits the strings on down strums.

Top Bottom