Any doris day fans out there?

Cassie

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just wanted to know if any of you like Doris day. Do any of you play her songs on your ukes? If so, I'd love to hear them! If you're not familiar with Doris Day, She's a famous singer and actress from the 50's. My favorite song she sings is Que sera sera but others are welcome. If you like, Tell me a little about your ukes. I'd love to hear more of your playing.

Last edited:
I just started learning Que Sera Sera. It's fun and easy for beginners.

I had a pretty good crush on her as a teenager, and her album with "Que Sera Sera" was the first one my parents bought when they could afford a record player in the early 60s (in fact, it was the only album they ever bought). The uke group I'm with, The CC Strummers has been doing it off and on the last few months.

Many people don't know that "Que Sera Sera" was actually introduced by Doris Day in an Alfred Hitchcock film, "The Man Who Knew Too Much," which also starred James Stewart. It was credited in the film's title sequence under the title "Whatever Will Be" and it won the 1956 Academy Award for Best Original Song under the title "Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera)." We play it in my ukulele group, as it's published one of the Jim Beloff Daily Ukulele books.

Pillow Talk with Rock Hudson. Doris Day has a hotel in Carmel that caters to people with dogs. I'm not a dog nut but a lot of cool people are.

Many people don't know that "Que Sera Sera" was actually introduced by Doris Day in an Alfred Hitchcock film, "The Man Who Knew Too Much," which also starred James Stewart. It was credited in the film's title sequence under the title "Whatever Will Be" and it won the 1956 Academy Award for Best Original Song under the title "Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera)." We play it in my ukulele group, as it's published one of the Jim Beloff Daily Ukulele books.

I have the man who knew too much on a disk. I really like that one.

My wife has pointed out that in her movies, the outfits that Doris Day wore were always coordinated with the colors in the room. Personally, I like her singing with the Les Brown band.

Here is one example

Last edited:
Hi guys, I just wanted to know if any of you like Doris day. Do any of you play her songs on your ukes? If so, I'd love to hear them! If you're not familiar with Doris Day, She's a famous singer and actress from the 50's. My favorite song she sings is Que sera sera but others are welcome. If you like, Tell me a little about your ukes. I'd love to hear more of your playing.

Sentimental Journey was her first hit as a young 19 yr.old singing with Les Brown and his Band of Reknowns. She never forgot his giving her her first break and always had him as her backup band when possible, Sentimental Journey was written in 1942 but couldn't be recorded until 1944 because of a musicians strike that lasted thru most of the war years. Only songs that could be recorded was patriotic and military songs. It was the reason the big bands had to do so much traveling during the war; they couldn't record and to get the song out, they had to travel to various venues thruout the US and abroad.

Sentimental Journey became the theme song for the GI's and those waiting for them to come home. Many of the WWII vets we play for at gigs will come up and tell a story relating to the song.

My dad used to say Sentimental Journey was played night and day on the ship he came home on. At a local gig, an old WWII vet came up and told me he was assigned to take care of the musical instruments on board coming home. Most of them were ukuleles.

Last edited:
STRUM ( Seattle's Totally Relaxed Ukulele Musicians ) regularly do both Que Sera Sera and Everybody Loves a Lover.
the second one really needs at least 2 or a group to get the fuller effect the second time around :)

Thanks for starting the thread!

keep uke'in',

STRUM ( Seattle's Totally Relaxed Ukulele Musicians ) regularly do both Que Sera Sera and Everybody Loves a Lover.
the second one really needs at least 2 or a group to get the fuller effect the second time around :)

Thanks for starting the thread!

keep uke'in',

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have a uke yet but I'm really hoping for a Kala for The holidays.

At a Jam someone sang Secret Love and it sounded wonderful on the uke. I've got to learn it and then maybe I could learn to sing. Nope, I'll just ask her to do it again.

At a Jam someone sang Secret Love and it sounded wonderful on the uke. I've got to learn it and then maybe I could learn to sing. Nope, I'll just ask her to do it again.

I've heard that one before. I have so really good news. I might be going to look at some ukes today. My cousin and Aunt are coming to spend the afternoon with me today and they asked me what I'd like to do. I said possibly go and look at some different ukes. If we don't get to do that today, That's OK.

I can't find it on You Tube but I swear that on the Gary Moore Show, Carol Burnett came out singing "Once I had a Secret Love" while she had a pillow stuffed under her outfit. I believe that my mother shut off the TV immediately.

Secret Love was covered in the UK by Kathy Kirby.

I saw a few Doris Day films back in the late 50s early 60s including Don't Eat The Daisys and Calamity Jane. How about Deadwood Stage anyone? I remember that she was sitting on a stagecoach singing for that one. Her films were mostly family friendly romances and she often co-starred with Rock Hudson.

Yes, fond memories of her songs (and her movies). I must look some up. I'm sure there will be an excuse to do one or two in the Seasons.

Last edited:
She is a great actress too and a animal lover... she lives in carmel county in california and has a hotel which is pet friendly... I believe
teachers pet was my fav with clark gable.. :)

...teachers pet was my fav with Clark Gable.. :)

Agree 100%, in my top 50 films. Trivia: Her movie "Move Over Darling" with James Garner was originally "Somethings Got to Give" with Marilyn Monroe and Dean Martin, until Marilyn died, so it was shelved.

Top Bottom