Tear drop concert

greenscoe

Reaction score
As a hobby maker, I like to vary what I make: I’ve no interest in making the same thing until I get it perfect. I’ve been thinking about making a tear drop shaped uke and this is the result, my first concert sized instrument.

The box is made from wood from a Victorian chest of drawers. The back and sides are clearly mahogany. The soundboard came from a drawer side. This may be a different (plainer/cheaper) type of mahogany but I think it’s another unknown species: it’s not very hard and is straight grained with an open structure.

The one piece neck/head (with built-up heel) is from new sapele with a eucalyptus veneer. The neck is joined with a tapered dovetail. The box shape seemed to demand a reverse head. It’s finished in True Oil without pore filling.

There are clearly more elegant alternatives for the heel/cap/ back binding: I was too impatient to modify/improve this.

I’m content with the finished appearance and really pleased with the way it sounds (Living Waters strings). It’s as loud as any tenor uke I’ve ever made. There’s lots of sustain and I like the tone (comparable with my favourite tenor). Perhaps I should make a few similar instruments?

Attachments

• tear1.jpg
    tear1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 155
  • tear2.jpg
    tear2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 107
  • tear3.jpg
    tear3.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 109
  • tear4.jpg
    tear4.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 98
  • tear5.jpg
    tear5.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 106
I tend not to draw plans (except for a soundbox paper template), but I have a clear idea of where I’m going with any build. My ‘mould’ was made with a piece of MDF and some superglued scraps of kerfing conforming to the box shape. Others may already use such a simple technique, for me it was a first. The success of this method lies in the accuracy with which the neck end block is made which ultimately ensures the sides are square to the soundboard and the box is symmetrical.

Photos show some details and the use of the ‘mould’.

Attachments

• back assembly.jpg
    back assembly.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 66
  • neck joint.jpg
    neck joint.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 67
  • tear back.jpg
    tear back.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 66
  • tear sboard.jpg
    tear sboard.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 74
  • teardrop.jpg
    teardrop.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 71
That's a very pretty design! The only question I have is about the placement of the sound hole. Was it necessary to get it up so high that it came in contact with the end of the fretboard? I find my eye wandering to that spot, and yearning to see the rest of the rosette.

Vegas George:

Glad you like the design. Sopranos tend to have fewer frets (sometimes only 12) and the fretboard often stops short of the soundhole (which may not have a rosette). Tenors and concerts tend to have more frets (typically 18) and the fretboard usually extends to the soundhole. Rosettes tend to have a gap (it's shown on one of the photos) and the fretboard covers this gap (this is true of guitars too). By placing the soundhole high on the soundboard, the area of the soundboard below the soundhole is maximised. It's the area below the soundhole that's largely responsible for the sound the instrument produces. On every instrument I've made, this is always a factor that I take into consideration: for any box shape I maximise the area below the soundhole.

I love teardrop ukes and yours is particularly beautiful. I also like to see the building process of other builders. Thanks for sharing.

Bob/I]

Front has the appearance of Spanish cedar...

Thanks for the info Pete, ksquine: that would make sense as Spanish Cedar was (is?) used for chests/drawers etc. It's not a wood I've ever handled so I wouldn't recognise it. I been thinking I ought to buy some to try on necks: sapele can be hard and take some time to carve.

I've just tapped another piece of this timber, 16" x 8" x 0.5" and it sounds great. Looks like I've a few more soundboards to glean.

Good job. Love the use of recycled wood. A noble end for a fine piece of wood.
Miguel

That looks awesome. I love it. The binding is a nice touch, and it's great that you built it from re-purposed wood, giving the wood another life after the drawers.

Thanks for also showing the inside photos with the bracing. I love to see how things are constructed, which helps me to understand how/why they produce a certain sound profile.

Any chance you might be so kind as to share either an audio or video demo? I'd love to hear this beautiful instrument. :)

Any chance you might be so kind as to share either an audio or video demo? I'd love to hear this beautiful instrument. :)

As I've said before I'm no musician and have nothing with which to record. For what its worth I've posted something here (strumming and finger picking): you may think it sounds terrible or you may be able to hear that it has a full sound with added 'zing' as I say or 'fizz' as my friend says.

https://soundcloud.com/ukes-1/teardrop-concert-uke-oct-2015-sound-sample

Ooo, I love the shape! What a neat idea to use an old piece of furniture. Beautiful!

I really like the shape, and the overall look of the instrument -- admirable job with this! :)

Top Bottom