Going to Maui....

d-mace

Reaction score
Hi All,

My wife and I are heading to Maui next week for 5 days...We always hear of all the great ukulele businesses, performances and events going on in Oahu...but not so much in Maui. It's our first time going there and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations regarding ukulele shops, performers, etc...Oh yeah, and any must see sites is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

I was trying to see if Ata Damasco was playing anywhere next week - I see he is performing in Lahaina on October 27, but not much else.
You may want to ask around. He is a very talented Hawaiian falsetto singer and ukulele player.
The sunrise at Haleakala is well worth it - an amazing experience.
Cream puffs from Komoda Store in Makawao - go early, they sell out.
Mele Ukulele in Wailuku is a nice place to browse for ukuleles, and I bought my first ukulele from Bounty Music in Kahului.
It has been a while since I have been to Maui myself, so I am not too sure of current gigs.
This looks like it might be worth checking out, especially for only $5:
http://lahainarestoration.org/mauis...-perform-at-final-plantation-days-in-lahaina/
I know Ikaika Blackburn, Napua Grieg, Amy Hanaialii, Willie K are all great performers, and I like Ekolu too, they are kind of Island-reggae type stuff.

Have a great time!

Haleakala is great. There's an awesome lavender farm halfway up the slope that is unbelievable - so peaceful. I've never done the road Hana but that's supposed to be pretty. If you have $500 burning a hole in your pocket, Mama's Fish House is my favorite restaurant in the world.

Da 'Ukulele Boyz are usually at George Kahumoku's slack key show, but it's just your luck that we're all be teaching at the Hawaii Island Ukulele Retreat next week! Still might be worth a look if you like Hawaiian music. He brings in the best to share the stage and it's usually good fun. Just checked the lineup for next week (14th): Led Kaapana, Richard Ho'opi'i and the usual gang (minus Da Boyz). You should definitely go. Led is out of control. He probably won't play uke there, but you won't remember to miss it! Uncle Richard plays uke and does a mean hula strum and sings amazing, but no picking if that's what you're after. Tell Uncle George Brad says "hi" if you go.

Yes how could I forget about Mama's Fish House, I agree best restaurant in the world. $pendy though!
My budget usually has me eating at Tasty Crust.

Go see Led if you can! Always a treat.

Da 'Ukulele Boyz are usually at George Kahumoku's slack key show, but it's just your luck that we're all be teaching at the Hawaii Island Ukulele Retreat next week! Still might be worth a look if you like Hawaiian music. He brings in the best to share the stage and it's usually good fun. Just checked the lineup for next week (14th): Led Kaapana, Richard Ho'opi'i and the usual gang (minus Da Boyz). You should definitely go. Led is out of control. He probably won't play uke there, but you won't remember to miss it! Uncle Richard plays uke and does a mean hula strum and sings amazing, but no picking if that's what you're after. Tell Uncle George Brad says "hi" if you go.

Definitely do this one! See Uncle George and crew at Napili Shores resort most Wednesday's.

+1 for Bounty Music in Kahului! My favorite music store that I've been to, several times! Still trying to visit HMS.

Best place to eat: Haliimailli General Store! On the way up to Haliakula (sp).

Wow, so many great suggestions for your Maui visit! Have a great time!��

Thanks UU Friends...! Here's what I'm adding to the todo list:
1) Lahaina Plantation Days - thanks Pea
2) Mtn Biking down Haleakala
3) Cream puffs
4) Mele and Bounty Music. It's weird I've been playing the ukulele a lot for the last 8 years and this is my first trip to Hawaii since then and my UAS desire is at an all time low.
5) George Kahumoku's slack key show. Thanks Brad...this is going to be great!
6) Haliimailli General Store and I'm intrigued with the name Tasty Crust.

Unfortunately I won't be there for the Ukulele Festival but thanks for the link Len.
Mama's Fish House looks amazing. Just saw the prices...hmmmm....new ukulele or killer meal. Tough call :)

Visit the Hulla Grill in the Whalers Village.....see Derick Sebastian perform, free. I also here he gives out free lessons, not sure when. Check the Hula Grill website.

Visit the Hulla Grill in the Whalers Village.....see Derick Sebastian perform, free. I also here he gives out free lessons, not sure when. Check the Hula Grill website.

ditto on Hula Grill but i actually prefer the "barefoot bar" side of the restaurant. limited menu but you get to eat with your feet in the sand right by the stage. (they dont take reservations so you often have to wait for a seat but "waiting" = looking at ocean or wandering Whalers Village. you could do much worse)

either way though it is a great place and the music is always good

Tasty Crust is a local food joint in Wailuku. It is in the same area as Mele Ukulele, only about a mile away. Breakfast is really good, get pancakes or loco moco. The fried chicken is extra delicious. Each time we go to Maui we go get fried chicken to go on our last day and eat it on the plane. This is not gourmet or health food! It is comfort food for locals.
If you are staying in Ka`anapali there is a Teppan table restaurant at the Sheraton - Teppanyaki DAN I believe. We had a really nice meal there that was not super expensive. Way better than Benihana... It is not open every day, so call ahead if you want to go. I had the fresh fish and it was super good. Last time we went it was closed all three days we were there, we were so bummed.

Oh man...you guys are spoiling me...plus I'm going to gain another 10 pounds. I forgot all about the Moco Loco!

Thanks for the tip about seeing Derick Sebastian. Many years ago back when they had the Southern CA Ukulele Festival I took a class from him. Awesome guy and player.

All good suggestions. Go to Mama's for a late lunch. The prices are slightly lower and you get to see the grounds and beach which are worth it. If you want to play, check out 808ukejams.com in Kihei on Thursday evenings. Kumu Kealoha leads a fun (and free) class at Keolahou Church playing out of the "He Mele Aloha" song book. I'll be there next week.

Last edited:
All good suggestions. Go to Mama's for a late lunch. The prices are slightly lower and you get to see the grounds and beach which are worth it. If you want to play, check out 808ukejams.com in Kihei on Thursday evenings. Kudu Kealoha leads a fun (and free) class at Keolahou Church playing out of the "He Mele Aloha" song book. I'll be there next week.

Sweet....thanks! The 808ukejams is a great idea. Are you planning on going to the class? I wasn't planning on bringing a ukulele...maybe I'll have to stop by Bounty or Mele first :)

Sweet....thanks! The 808ukejams is a great idea. Are you planning on going to the class? I wasn't planning on bringing a ukulele...maybe I'll have to stop by Bounty or Mele first :)
If you don't find the right ukulele at Mele or Bounty, Ukejams usually have a few loaners. Or IM me and you can borrow my Kohala concert I leave in our condo for guests to use.

If you are in Lahaina, I recommend Aloha Mixed Plate. I ate there a lot when we were there. Also, if you want to see the Hana Hiway, we took a small bus tour. Made lotsa stops and the went all the way around Haleakala. Can't do that with a rental car.

If you don't find the right ukulele at Mele or Bounty, Ukejams usually have a few loaners. Or IM me and you can borrow my Kohala concert I leave in our condo for guests to use.

Sweet offer....Thanks!

Top Bottom