Problematic Chord:

JJFN

Reaction score
I am having a very difficult time with a chord. I am a firm believer in the three P's. practice, practice, practice. I am doing everything to conquer this chord but for me it is demonic. Its a B7b5. the fingering is 2312. As you can see it starts with the basic F chord 2010. However dropping the ring finger on the A 2nd fret and pinkie on the C 3rd fret is my problem. I will get it with more work, but this has been a very difficult chord for me to master. Please forgive this rant, but has anyone else been bedeviled by a chord?

I have trouble landing Fmaj7 consistently, I feel your pain.

Oh good Lord yes. Stringed instruments are much harder to play then highly skilled people make it look.

Sign me up for classes in E, Eb and Fmaj7. I like your 3 P reference..........that is the secret right there.

I feel your pain! That one is challenging. I've been playing for years and there are two shapes that still vex me: the moveable augmented (e.g. for Daug, it would be 3221), and the moveable minor 7 (e.g. Am7 would be 2433). Every time they come up I try to find some other way around it.

I have trigger finger on my left middle finger, so I can't partial barre E&A with that finger. So I use, middle finger E and ring finger on A. it takes some time but it works for me.. Sometimes the 0000 Am7 doesn't work. Unfortunately!
I feel your pain! That one is challenging. I've been playing for years and there are two shapes that still vex me: the moveable augmented (e.g. for Daug, it would be 3221), and the moveable minor 7 (e.g. Am7 would be 2433). Every time they come up I try to find some other way around it.

Yes, I've been bedeviled by the 2312 shape. Instead of forming F first, try starting with the two fingers on the second fret (1st and 4th strings), which puts your other two fingers more in position. The other suggestions above, 4310 and 4556, may also serve as good alternatives.

The biggest problem I have with the 2413 Fmaj7 (etc.) is remembering which finger goes where. It helps me to start by planting the index and middle fingers on the first two strings. Then I reach out over the fretboard with my other two fingers and replicate the same shape, just a fret higher. That's how I think of the shape, as a sort of skewed rhombus. Sometimes I can start with the F chord, then plant the other two fingers, but I tend to get this confused with F7 (2313), where the positions of the ring finger and pinkie are in essence reversed. If you can easily form the alternative F (2013), but using the ring finger on the 1st string, you just have to drop the pinkie on the 3rd string to form Fmaj7. Fmaj7 usually substitutes for F (i.e. F will fit, albeit not as colorfully, wherever Fmaj7 is needed), so if you're playing a strumming pattern, it may not matter if you're a little late with the pinkie. (The same can't be said when using the same shape higher up.) You can even pull up the pinkie occasionally, switching back and forth with F, to make things sound more intentional. :)
I'll try setting the ring and pinkie finger first. Thanx for the tip.

Ubulele - I've tried to "reply with quote" to you three times and my message got chopped off each time. There weren't even any diacritics or other special characters in my reply!

My solution is to use all 4 fingers for those chords - I don't have the bendy middle or ring fingers like some of you do (it's genetic) so half-barres never work for me. Using all 4 fingers works great for slower changes, but when it's fast is when I run into problems, so I usually find a work-around by playing only three of the notes. It's not perfect, but it gets me by!

Last edited:
I have trigger finger on my left middle finger, so I can't partial barre E&A with that finger. So I use, middle finger E and ring finger on A. it takes some time but it works for me.. Sometimes the 0000 Am7 doesn't work. Unfortunately!

That's what I do too - one finger per string. I can't do partial barres at all - been trying for years to no avail.

Oh good Lord yes. Stringed instruments are much harder to play then highly skilled people make it look.

Sign me up for classes in E, Eb and Fmaj7. I like your 3 P reference..........that is the secret right there.

Fmaj7 we hates it, Gollum. :mad:

Sorry Must have misread your suggestion I will give it a try. Again, Thanx
Well o-kay, but that's not what I suggested. For the 2312 B7b5, I suggested planting the middle and ring fingers first. For the 2413 Fmaj7, I suggested planting the index and ring fingers first.

I am having a very difficult time with a chord. I am a firm believer in the three P's. practice, practice, practice. I am doing everything to conquer this chord but for me it is demonic. Its a B7b5. the fingering is 2312. As you can see it starts with the basic F chord 2010. However dropping the ring finger on the A 2nd fret and pinkie on the C 3rd fret is my problem. I will get it with more work, but this has been a very difficult chord for me to master. Please forgive this rant, but has anyone else been bedeviled by a chord?
Might I ask what song you are playing, and what chords are before and after the B7b5?

Yes, the song is One Note Samba, the chord progression is Dm7, Db7, Cm7add4 and B7b5, then repeat for the first verse pf the song. This song was kindly put up by a UU member, I printed the song, so I can't recall the thread.
Might I ask what song you are playing, and what chords are before and after the B7b5?

Top Bottom