Kafka Announces its Plans for 2016

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Dear Authorized Dealers,

In 1916, Samuel Kaialiilii Kamaka began crafting koa ukuleles from the basement of his Kaimuki, Hawaii home. In 2016, Kamaka Hawaii, Inc. will celebrate its 100th anniversary. Here's a preview of what's coming:

November 2015
PBS will air Craft in America: Music. This national show will feature Kamaka Hawaii and the company's tradition of crafting fine ukuleles. http://www.craftinamerica.org/watch-a-preview-of-the-music-episode/ Check your local listings for times. (Premieres nationwide November 20, in Hawaii November 21 at 8pm with encore showings later in the month).

December 2015
We have not raised our prices since 2013. All prices will increase in 2016. The 2016 Price Sheet will be mailed and emailed to you.
All stock models on your current price list will be "anniversary" editions in 2016. Both the label and the headstock will have a special 100th anniversary design.

Hopefully by the end of the year, we will introduce our NEW MODEL – Deluxe 2I (ʻĪpuka). This will also be a stock model available in 2016.
HF-2 D2I Concert Slotted Headstock (ʻĪpuka)
HF-3 D2I Tenor Slotted Headstock (ʻĪpuka)
• slotted headstock with ebony faceplate and abalone kk
• 3A curly koa top, spruce top, or cedar top
• rosewood binding and abalone purfling
• abalone rosette around the sound hole
• ebony fingerboard and bridge
We will not do any specials/semi-customs in 2016.

January 2016
We will be at the NAMM Show in Anaheim January 22-25, where we will unveil the 100th Anniversary Kamaka Pineapple ukulele. It will be a limited edition model - only 100 will be made. These commemorative instruments will be sold direct from the factory on a first-come, first-served basis AFTER the NAMM Show. Customers may begin to order when it is announced on our new website. We will not take "pre-orders".

In addition, many musical events and festivals throughout the year will honor the company.

We will have a new logo on cases, t-shirts, hats, etc., and a new Reyn Spooner aloha shirt. Also being worked on - a commemorative Hawaiian music CD and a book by local author Joyce Fujii.

Fred Kamaka, Sr., who turned 91 last month, continues to do our free factory tour Tuesdays through Fridays at 10:30am. You and your staff are welcome to come visit us. It's an opportunity to learn our history and see first-hand how our ukuleles are crafted. Reservations are not required for the tour (unless there are six or more in your group).

We are proud to be 100% Hawaii-owned, 100% Hawaii-managed and 100% Made in Hawaii.

Aloha,
KAMAKA HAWAII, INC.
550 South Street * Honolulu * Hawaii * 96813-5010
Telephone (808) 531-3165 Fax (808) 531-3167
Email mail@kamakahawaii.com Website http://www.kamakahawaii.com

Last edited:
Auto-correct can be a pain. ;)

Hmm, so I guess if I decide to get a standard Kamaka, 2016 will be the year for that. I wonder how much the prices will increase, though.

It will be cool to see the new models, esp the limited edition pineapple. No new ukes for me. I love my Kamaka pineapple and my other ukes are fantastic, so I am not looking to spend more money on any more instruments for a long time.

Sign me up for a book, CD and t-shirt.

Wow, congratulations to Kamaka and company for 100 years of making music more lovely! I'd love to have one of these beauties!

If that limited edition pineapple has a longneck option... I'm doomed!

At least I have no such desires! That'd be a nerve wrecking night for sure.

I would like a Kamaka at some point, but I'm not sure which of the standard models. I'm happy that they announced their plans as this removes any kind of temptation for the remainder of the year.

First off, thank you Vegas George for posting that, a great service to all of us affected with UAS.

I do not own a Kamaka.........yet, I have been waiting for 2016. Now I have an idea of what is coming and I am excited. Very nice

Darn that typo in the title! Oh well, maybe some kind hearted Admin will fix it?

Kamaka has really thrown me a curve with this one. I wanted one of the limited edition anniversary models. But, I wasn't expecting it to be a pineapple. I already have a Kamaka Deluxe Pineapple Long Neck which is one of my favorite players. What I really want is another Tenor so that I can keep one strung low G, and one strung reentrant. So, I guess I'll just give up on the fab 100 idea, and go for one of the new 'Ipuka tenors. Bittersweet consolation, eh?

At least I have no such desires! That'd be a nerve wrecking night for sure.

I would like a Kamaka at some point, but I'm not sure which of the standard models. I'm happy that they announced their plans as this removes any kind of temptation for the remainder of the year.

I love my Kamaka longneck figure-8 so much that I've decided that the only other uke I'd be tempted by is one of their longneck pineapples (but as is my personal policy, only if I encountered one in person and could try it first, which makes this more fantasy than anything else). The only real question for me is - get one now, before the price increase, or wait and see what is on offer for next year?? :)

Did a quick search of HF3 D2I and founds some pics.... :drool::drool::drool:

hf3 d2i.jpghf3 d2i1.jpg
hf3 d2i2.jpghf3 d2i3.jpg

UAS has never been this strong!

The only real question for me is - get one now, before the price increase, or wait and see what is on offer for next year?? :)

I speculate that the value gain from all 2016 instruments visibly being 100th anniversary instruments will off-set the increased price (in the long run anyway, e.g. in 10 years a 2016 Kamaka yielding higher prices than a 2015 or 2017 one).

I speculate that the value gain from all 2016 instruments visibly being 100th anniversary instruments will off-set the increased price (in the long run anyway, e.g. in 10 years a 2016 Kamaka yielding higher prices than a 2015 or 2017 one).

Which actually makes a compelling argument for me to just buy one before the price increase! Since I'm not a collector and I don't buy with resale in mind. Plus, if they're only making 100 of the special pineapples, they won't likely have different neck options - nice to dream about though :)

If I didn't have a pineapple already, I certainly would be looking hard at those limited edition ukes. I'm very interested to see how those look! The Ipuka models will be stunning.

If I ever take the koa plunge, it will be a Kamaka. Regardless of the year of make, I will play the stew out of the thing and keep it guarded. I'd love to have one of any year, so long as it is ready to be played!!!

Which actually makes a compelling argument for me to just buy one before the price increase! Since I'm not a collector and I don't buy with resale in mind.

This my thinking too. I've got an Ohta San on order (OHMYGODIAMSOEXCITED), and although I'm sure the 100th anniversary models will be gorgeous, I'm buying this uke to play and I hope I'll never want, or need, to sell it. I can't justify paying anymore than I already am.

This my thinking too. I've got an Ohta San on order (OHMYGODIAMSOEXCITED), and although I'm sure the 100th anniversary models will be gorgeous, I'm buying this uke to play and I hope I'll never want, or need, to sell it. I can't justify paying anymore than I already am.

I am sooo glad you decided on the Ohtha San, fantastic instrument. I really do like that model and it will be between that, a super concert or tenor for my 2016 purchase. Please do a big glowing NUD post once you have spent some time with it, That one will deserve it. Sorry for the thread jack guys.

Top Bottom