Strap buttons kill sound???

Derecola

Reaction score
Just picked up a Kamaka HF3 and thinking about installing strap buttons. Will this decrease the quality of the sound being you are screwing into the body of the instrument?

If a strap helps keep the back of the ukulele from sitting against your body it should be louder.

If you are asking will the physical act of inserting a screw into the wood change the sound.........the answer is no. There is a solid block of wood called the tail block, it is there to support the joint formed by the two sides coming together at the bottom. This is what the screw will bite into and it is present in every uke. A small screw inserted into that will not change anything.

Just picked up a Kamaka HF3 and thinking about installing strap buttons. Will this decrease the quality of the sound being you are screwing into the body of the instrument?

I had originally thought that by using a strap (and therefore not restricting vibration by pressing on the top with one's forearm) that the instrument would be louder. But when I measured the volume (with an iPhone dB app) there was no measurable difference.

It will neither hurt nor help the sound, but sure makes playing easier.

I put two strap buttons on every one of my ukes and basses, even the custom made ones, has no effect on the sound what-so-ever.

I put two strap buttons on every one of my ukes and basses, even the custom made ones, has no effect on the sound what-so-ever.

What he said but only applying to 4 ukes. Also agreeing with Tim: I wouldn't play without a strap. I emailed Chuck Moore before putting buttons my MB and he said "no problem".

Nary a bit!

Top Bottom