sworn off acachia ukes

plunker

Reaction score
Just checking in during a break from the yard work. Here is south Florida Acachia trees are deemed noxious exotics and are to be removed. I have a bunch on my yrad. Never want to touch it again. Then again my new Pono MTD is great. Mahogany is my optimum.
Neighbor has Mango trees, alway offering me fruit. I guess thats number 2.

Never thought I was so shallow.

Love my acacia tenor, but have no trees of that variety near me...

I own one uke with mango back/sides, one with koa back and sides and one with all acacia. 15 seconds after I begin playing any of them, the species of wood becomes the furthest thing from my awareness.

I had a solid top acacia Kala soprano which sounded very nice tuned up to ADF#B. After a string broke, I tuned the new strings to GCEA and passed it on to my Granddaughter.

I'm more interested in the sound characteristics of an instrument. If the wood used in it is considered an invasive species outside its own element I can understand the hate or dislike due to the work done to eradicate it from your property but to dislike a whole species and ignore its musical characteristics due to its virility outside its natural habitat seems a bit much.

My Acacia tenor from Vietnam opened up sitting the first year and now sings as sweet as my KoAloha concert. This surprised the hell out of me comparing ukuleles when I received my KoAloha. On a flip note a walnut soprano from the same builder has been a very quiet ukulele for me and has been left sitting. Perhaps after it sits a bit like the tenor it will sing louder though I read walnut is a darker sounding wood than most.

~peace~

Good input. The thought came to me while standing in 90 + degree heat with the propects of buying another chain saw blade (that stuff is tough). i like the warmer tone woods which is all three of my ukes are mahogany. Maybe my next purchase will be acahia to broaden my thought process. Jut got a new uke, might be awhile before the bug hits me though. But, if there is a luthier who would like to come down and help, they can keep all the wood they want. In the mean time I got box of copper nails. If I can kill them, it will stop the spreading and I might be able to catch up. Thanks again for all the good comments.

Top Bottom