PDA

View Full Version : Moore Bettah Tenor Milo and Bearclaw Sitka

bobmyers
10-10-2015, 06:24 AM
I'm still not sure I want to sell it but the prices that the auctions on http://www.theukulelesite.com/auction-moore-bettah-spruce-milo-tenor.htmlsold are over $8000. Mine is even nicer than both I've seen sold lately. I would be asking $7500 shipped in hardcase to CONUS. Feeless tranaction on Paypal please.
So if you have always wanted one now is your chance.
Its in as new condition and was made for me in 2012 #1230.
Full description to follow with more pics. MISI by Chuck Moore.
Bob

stevejfc
10-10-2015, 08:03 AM
Man oh man, that's a beauty Bob. Good luck with the sale.

DownUpDave
10-10-2015, 08:33 AM
Yea, good luck with that.

katysax
10-10-2015, 09:09 AM
It's not surprising to see some of these coming up for sale with the prices what they've been at auction. I also have a spruce milo and fabulous as it is, the prices these ukes are garnering makes selling them an attractive proposition. I'm at a point where I'm thinking about retirement in a couple of years. And I've got a use that might sell at a price that would be a good start towards a downpayment on a nice place to live during retirement. Good luck with the sale.

JustinJ
10-10-2015, 10:14 AM
The problem with selling it is replacing it. If you play it and love it, then consider if you can go without having another one. You many never get a chance to buy another one.

I think it is a shame that a lot of the Moore Bettah are being bought by collectors. I look at them as instruments, beautiful made instruments, but still meant to be played.

I hope that more players can get a hold of these ukes. But to be honest, most musicians are not wealthy to begin with.

Anyway, good luck with selling it.

mountain goat
10-10-2015, 10:19 AM
I agree with you Justin. The luthiers always say that the saddest thing to them is to see one of their instruments, years later, unused. I hope the person that buys this plays it.

bobmyers
10-10-2015, 10:42 AM
I live in Florida, my reason for selling it is because my retirement home needs a new A/C unit. The present value of Moore Bettah ukes has made this too precious for me to own considering other life needs.
So here are the stats and some more pictures:
Bracing Top; Sitka Spruce with 3 fan pattern. Back; Honduran mahogany ladder
Binding; Curly Koa top , bottom and neck sides
Neck; Spanish cedar (carbon Fiber reinforced)
Slotted headstock, Macadamia nut overlay, Plumeria inlay (Gold and Paua Abalone)
Tuners; Grover sta tite
Side Sound Port; Upper bout Koa binding
Fretboard; Macadamia nut, bound with koa, another Plumeria inlay at tail end
Bridge; East Indian Rosewood
Rosette; Macadamia nut
Fret markers; Gold MOP
Nut and Saddle; Bone
Finish; Glossy Nitrocellulus lacquer
Strings Current; Savarez Custom Customer Concoctions C3, low G
Some more pics next.

bobmyers
10-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Completion date 11/15/2012 ,
Bob

stevejfc
10-10-2015, 11:17 AM
Wow, that Macadamia fret board is other-worldly!!

wayfarer75
10-10-2015, 11:41 AM
That is a lovely uke, and I'm sure it will be hard to part with. But I know there is a greater need for air conditioning when one lives in Florida. Good luck with the sale.

Jim Hanks
10-10-2015, 01:24 PM
Yea, good luck with that.

I can't tell if that was sincere or sarcastic. :rolleyes: :nana:

NatalieS
10-10-2015, 01:38 PM
Beautiful uke. :-) Good luck with the sale!

SoloRule
10-10-2015, 05:06 PM
I can't tell if that was sincere or sarcastic. :rolleyes: :nana:

DownUpDave is not a sarcastic person. He is a real gentleman and a caring person.
I know he means good luck with the sales. Dont try to read something that is not there. Cheer!

rappsy
10-10-2015, 05:13 PM
DownUpDave is not a sarcastic person. He is a real gentleman and a caring person.
I know he means good luck with the sales. Dont try to read something that is not there. Cheer!

Well said. Dave speaks from the heart. Good guy.

Jim Hanks
10-10-2015, 06:19 PM
It was just a joke guys. Lighten up!

I also wish OP good luck with the sale and hope he finds the right buyer for this MB.

AndrewKuker
10-10-2015, 08:08 PM
The uke that you reference is brand new with Chuck’s 2015 body shape and bridge along with the tedious addition of an arm bevel. Perhaps there is someone that wants your uke and is willing to pay that for it, but typically even a great uke will depreciate about 20% after being a few years old.

If you really need the money then maybe you could just sell at the full price you paid for it. Recoup all of your money and allow a player to buy it without any sign of profit as the motive.

On a side note, I'm thinking a retirement home in florida will need an AC. People may not want to pay the prices they ask to live in the facility if they don't have that. Right? Just common a sense need, even without your donation. It's just part of running a successful business in a hot and humid environment.

No offense intended. Just trying to be real about it. Hope everyone understands that.

Brian1
10-10-2015, 08:34 PM
I never thought I'd be arguing for the higher price and I agree with Andrew BUT on the other hand if you can get on a wait list for a MB or the wait list to get on a wait list it is worth something. One simply does not go out and buy a MB ukulele (not normally anyway) not having to wait for one to become available has a value. But again on yet another hand I think the last used one I saw sell sold for $5K. Winter is coming and soon A/C won't be needed in Florida, maybe wait until next year see what happens maybe the Canadian dollar will increase in value or the US dollar will drop and open up some new customers. You can always lower the price in March if it starts to get hot. The worst thing that could happen is you get to keep your MB.

Andy Chen
10-10-2015, 10:44 PM
... maybe you could just sell at the full price you paid for it. Recoup all of your money and allow a player to buy it without any sign of profit as the motive...

There's some truth to this, although if there is someone who is willing to pay what Bob asks for, all power to him. It's called a marketplace for a reason - supply/demand and all that.

In any case, this is way more reasonable than that guy who is trying to sell his MB for $50k.

Rakelele
10-10-2015, 11:07 PM
In any case, this is way more reasonable than that guy who is trying to sell his MB for $50k.

The same one has been popping up on FMM and says "sold" now (altough I don't think anyone paid $50K for it).

mountain goat
10-10-2015, 11:36 PM
The same one has been popping up on FMM and says "sold" now (altough I don't think anyone paid $50K for it).
It sold for 5K

DownUpDave
10-11-2015, 12:08 AM
It was just a joke guys. Lighten up!

I also wish OP good luck with the sale and hope he finds the right buyer for this MB.

Jim and I are friends so I knew it was a joke, he is a good guy. We both wish the seller good luck.

guitharsis
10-11-2015, 01:27 AM
Definitely agree with Andrew but it is a beautiful uke and someone might be willing to pay a little extra if it's the right one for them. Good luck with the sale, Bob.

hollisdwyer
10-11-2015, 01:38 AM
There are a few things that appreciate when they are 2nd hand. These include Moore Bettah ukes and clasic Porsche's. Pricing your Uke at current market value (referring to what MB's have sold for on the Ukesite's auctions lately) is fair IMO. Good luck on the sale but pity you have to do it to keep cool. My parents retired to West Palm Beach and I think they almost never turned off the a/c so I know how important it is.

stevejfc
10-11-2015, 03:51 AM
I never thought I'd be arguing for the higher price and I agree with Andrew BUT on the other hand if you can get on a wait list for a MB or the wait list to get on a wait list it is worth something. One simply does not go out and buy a MB ukulele (not normally anyway) not having to wait for one to become available has a value. But again on yet another hand I think the last used one I saw sell sold for $5K. Winter is coming and soon A/C won't be needed in Florida, maybe wait until next year see what happens maybe the Canadian dollar will increase in value or the US dollar will drop and open up some new customers. You can always lower the price in March if it starts to get hot. The worst thing that could happen is you get to keep your MB.
Actually, depending on where you live in Florida in the winter, you do need A/C. We're in Southwest Fl. and the a/c is on most of the winter. Plus with the high humidity, you need the a/c to dehumidify.

Brian1
10-11-2015, 04:05 AM
Actually, depending on where you live in Florida in the winter, you do need A/C. We're in Southwest Fl. and the a/c is on most of the winter. Plus with the high humidity, you need the a/c to dehumidify.

I am from Texas I understand

Telperion
10-11-2015, 05:31 AM
The problem with selling it is replacing it.

Yep. Unfortunately, I am in that club. Selling mine seemed like a good idea at the time, but I regret it so much.

-Steve

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-11-2015, 05:41 AM
Yep. Unfortunately, I am in that club. Selling mine seemed like a good idea at the time, but I regret it so much.

-Steve

You can always buy it back and then resell it again like the OP is doing
. There is a long involved story surrounding this uke.

hollisdwyer
10-11-2015, 06:01 AM
You can always buy it back and then resell it again like the OP is doing
. There is a long involved story surrounding this uke.

If the OP wouldn't mind I'm sure we would all find the story of this instrument interesting.

sam13
10-11-2015, 06:03 AM
If Bob won't share, perhaps Chuck will. :agree:

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-11-2015, 06:28 AM
If Bob won't share, perhaps Chuck will. :agree:

All I'll say is that Bob really, really liked this uke and a lot of effort was put into seeing that he could own it for as long as he could.

LittleCeci
10-11-2015, 04:37 PM
This uke has the same rosette as my "Yulan" MBU and the headstock inlay is the same plumeria as my "Lani" MBU. I mean our ukes are just like sisters. Good luck with the sale, Bob.

mm stan
10-12-2015, 06:13 AM
Hmmm , I wonder if Bob got any bites...

UkeInTW
10-12-2015, 06:48 AM
Yes, and besides wondering if he got any interest, hoping Bob might share the long story behind this ukulele. Sounds interesting. As a fellow MB uke owner, interested to hear the story. I dont think I would ever consider to part with my MB uke, but I guess never say never.

Nickie
10-12-2015, 02:38 PM
I feel for Bob. If this is the same Bob Myers I met, this uke has an awesome sound, like a harp. I just drooled when I heard it strummed. He has been fortunate to have it.
Alas, most people cannot tolerate the summer conditions here without AC. When my truck's AC broke, I traded it off immediately. My late bestie said that a monument should be erected in Tallahassee to the inventors of AC. Without it, Floriduh would still belong to the natives, and maybe a few tough Cubans. Here it is October, and our AC is still on. I have only thrown the doors open twice so far...there are two seasons here, summer, and not summer. The humidity is ghastly, and causes respiratory problems for a lot of elderly people. But we still have better weather than anyplace else I've ever lived.
Sorry to highjack this thread, Bob, may you receive all you need for your comfort!

bobmyers
10-13-2015, 11:11 AM
Bless you Nickie for your understanding.
Bob

mountain goat
10-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Bob
Hey Bob, why don't you stick her on Flea Market Music also? Sometimes is easier to move more expensive instruments there, especially one of this quality.

bearbike137
10-13-2015, 02:14 PM
Bob

This is one of the weirdest Marketplace threads ever...

AndrewKuker
10-13-2015, 08:33 PM
There's some truth to this, although if there is someone who is willing to pay what Bob asks for, all power to him. It's called a marketplace for a reason - supply/demand and all that.

Totally true, and I apologize to Bob for that. I was being overly idealistic. Of course money is what it's about when it's what you need. I should have said, if you need the money, try ebay and see what you can get. Good luck. But listing it in comparison to what we recently have sold and saying it's better is a bit presumptuous given that you judged the others through a computer. Maybe that rubbed me weird and I ran with it. Anyway, weirdness aside, I'm sure this uke sounds/looks/feels amazing and good luck to anyone interested.

mountain goat
10-13-2015, 08:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi6wNGwd84g

mds725
10-13-2015, 09:31 PM
Totally true, and I apologize to Bob for that. I was being overly idealistic. Of course money is what it's about when it's what you need. I should have said, if you need the money, try ebay and see what you can get. Good luck. But listing it in comparison to what we recently have sold and saying it's better is a bit presumptuous given that you judged the others through a computer. Maybe that rubbed me weird and I ran with it. Anyway, weirdness aside, I'm sure this uke sounds/looks/feels amazing and good luck to anyone interested.

The eBay point is a good one. In addition to appearing to compare a 2012 MB ukulele with with a 2015 MB ukulele that appears to have additional features and is, well, new, the OP is using an auction, in which the market rate is truly set by consumers, to set a price on a non-auction sale. It seems as though the best way to see what the market believes this ukulele is worth is to sell it though an auction format. At the same time, like others who have posted here, I understand why someone who is selling a beloved ukulele to address a monetary need would try to get as much for the ukulele as possible. If the asking price is truly reflective of what someone is willing to pay for it, then someone will buy it at that price.

I would hate to have to decide to sell a beloved anything because I needed the money, so I certainly empathize with Bob for the difficulty of his decision to part with this ukulele.

Brian1
10-13-2015, 09:47 PM

I'll say it is:
First the rare occasion of someone wanting to part with their MB (even if we have seen it like 3 or 4 times in the last couple of months)

Then we get a mystery message from the builder.

Then a dealer starts complaining about the price, and the same dealer suggests that something should be sold for the price something cost him. (an odd business model- but it is nice to know they get sticker shock too )

And on a personal note I posted in favor of selling something for more than what something might be normally expected to go for. (I think that's a first for me)

mountain goat
10-13-2015, 10:26 PM
David Lynch meets Hitchcock? This thread has more legs than Bardot. Waiting for the next exhilarating chapter...

bobmyers
10-14-2015, 09:51 AM
Hi,
I always want to give my UU buddies the first chance. After a week with nothing but agast at the price I am asking (I am not surprised, this is a buget oriented group as am I)
I will use other forums,
So, I gave you a chance, and only you guys could have scored the best deal.
So, thanks for all you positive and negative comments, it relieves my guilt.
Regards to all,
Bob