Buy a Kiwaya KS-1 or save for the KTS-4. First Uke!

Astein2006

Reaction score
This is my first Uke! I have enough right now to buy the KS-1. I have heard glowing reviews of both. I could take the approach that I could keep saving and saving to buy a better and better Uke and taking forever to buy. So I've narrowed it down to these two. Is it worth the money to buy the KTS-4 over the KS-1? It will take me about 2-3 months to save for the KTS-4 whereas I could buy the KS-1 now. Thoughts....advice??

I have a KS-7 which is not sold in the US any more (or maybe ever) which is one of the laminates and I briefly had a KTS-7 - the one that copies a Martin Style 3. I traded away the KTS-7. The laminate Kiwaya that I have is one of my favorite sopranos I've ever played. I think it's a great ukulele and I love it. To me the KTS-7 I had was not even as good. I'm sure its just a comparison of one random use to another. But I am of a mind that the Kiwaya laminates are a great bargain. So for me I'd pick the KS-1 over the KTS-4 even if the price were the same.

I also like having a couple of laminate ukes around. Sometimes, as when camping or playing outdoors I don't want to use my more environmentally sensitive ukes.

I'd say get the KS-1. You'll likely notice little difference.

Like Katysax, I've had laminate and non-laminate Kiwayas. Currently have as KS-5 with UPT's (upgraded tuners). I don't play it much, not because it's not great, but because I (finally) determined standard soprano's are simply not comfortable for me. I considered selling it (got it from HMS a few months ago) but haven't been active about. Hoping I'll stumble upon a local sale so I don't have to hassle with shipping.

Too bad I'm in Canada (for both shipping and the exchange rate) or I would be all over your KS 5 with UPTs. Been wanting that for a long time. But appreciate knowing that you think the KS 1 would be fine for the OP.

I would be wanting to buy now and get started now. Unless you are just in love with the KTS-4, I say go for it. If you really have your heart set on the KTS-4, then wait and jump on that one. It is only a few months.

Ive made the decision. KTS-4. I need to wait two months but after all things considered it will be worth the wait....and i hate waiting:).

I have a Famous FS-1 laminate mahogany and really like it. Love the action. Only $199 from Amazon by way of Japan. Famous is the budget version of Kiwaya. Mine has geared tuners. Good value.

Ive made the decision. KTS-4. I need to wait two months but after all things considered it will be worth the wait....and i hate waiting:).

For the price, you could get a vintage Martin...

Top Bottom