Removing cobwebs and dust, inside the uke

Nickie

Reaction score
Would a can of pressurized air be acceptable for this? Would not an air compressor be too much pressure?

Would a can of pressurized air be acceptable for this? Would not an air compressor be too much pressure?
Nah just pop a small piece of paper with a demand for rent and arrears of rent in the sound hole.

The spider 'll soon bugger off.

or try putting a quarter cup of rice in there. Tape up the hole with some blue painter tape (test it first if you're worried about finish damage) and shake it baby, shake it!

That's a big marracca you just made....shake and strum....of course ,then the incumbent spider will sue you for trauma...

my mother gave me a soft "fuzzy" duster it is a stick and what looks like a combination of wool and cotton candy on the end. it not only helps dust under and between the strings it also fits into the sound hole. (My mother is a compulsive cleaner) The can of air shouldn't be too much, it will knock the webs down but they will stay in there and will probably get smashed to tight spaces.

I hadn't thought of that, but it is true, there are a lot of nooks and crannies in there. But honestly, how hard can it be to get cobwebs out of something? I mean, just blow in the hole, or stick your fingers in there.

But what if the incumbent and resident spider is a tarantula ?
She may get all a bit defensive about your digits....ouch..

'course I may not be being entirely helpful. Still,that's consistency for you.

Considering the slotted bendy stuff glued around the sides, I wouldn't dream of pouring rice into my ukes; I find it hard enough just getting the humidifier out when it drops inside. And with the cost of rice these days….
I hadn't thought of that, but it is true. But how hard do we have to make this? It is cobwebs. I mean, blow in the hole. Stick a finger in there. How do you get cobwebs out of anything? But in defense of Nicki, she wasn't asking how to get them out, was she? That was the rest of us.

Last edited:
But what if the incumbent and resident spider is a tarantula ?
She may get all a bit defensive about your digits....ouch..

'course I may not be being entirely helpful. Still,that's consistency for you.
Nice one CeeJay. I was editing that post and lost the whole thing while you were quoting it. I should have just waited to re-post.:) Pencils were made for people who are afraid of getting bit by a spider while cleaning cobwebs out of the inside of ukuleles.

Last edited:
Nice one CeeJay. I was editing that post and lost the whole thing while you were quoting it. I should have just waited to re-post.:) Pencils were made for people who are afraid of getting bit by a spider while cleaning cobwebs out of the inside of ukuleles.

Also for putting up your nose with your underpants on your head and going "Wibble"

Wibble.jpg

Wibble

Last edited:
or try putting a quarter cup of rice in there. Tape up the hole with some blue painter tape (test it first if you're worried about finish damage) and shake it baby, shake it!

This is the tried and true method. It's the best, by far. Yes, PeeWee.

Note: cooking and eating the dusty, webby rice is purely optional and will not improve the uke's cleanliness at all. It might clean your colon, however.

Last edited:

An air compressor could/should have a regulator to set the pressure coming out the nozzle.

Seems to me , with such a small sound hole , the compressed air would just move stuff around . From everything I've read , and trying it myself, I would use the dry uncooked
rice method. The rice rubbing against the wood helps in the cleaning. I had no problem getting all the rice out.

Seems to me , with such a small sound hole , the compressed air would just move stuff around . From everything I've read , and trying it myself, I would use the dry uncooked
rice method. The rice rubbing against the wood helps in the cleaning. I had no problem getting all the rice out.

Do tell: did you then eat the rice?

If you've got spider webs, you could build a little fire inside the ukulele. It won't hurt the spider, but the smoke makes 'em mad as hell.

But, if you go with the compressed air and if this is a vintage ukulele, avoid blowing directly at the label if you want it to survive. Brittle paper can break apart very easily.

Top Bottom