Mele vs Ohana concert pineapple

wdonley

Reaction score
Hi all-
Foolishly sold my Mele concert pineapple mahogany a while ago. Find myself without a concert size these days, and wanting another. Looking around, I see MIM has Ohana hog pineapple concerts for $125 less then a Mele. Heard good things about Ohanas. Any direct experience to relate? Any other good ideas welcomed, also. Prefer ukes on the mellow side. Thanks, Bill

I have no experience with pineapples, but I own four Ohanas (three purchased from Mim) and am impressed with the build quality for a factory uke. Mim also does a terrific setup. My Ohanas are a solid hog soprano, a Vita (spruce top), a concert (cedar/willow), and a tenor (spruce/maple). The spruces and cedar bark, the hog is very sweet. Like them all very much.

Mainly the concert body for the fuller, warmer sound. I've got an older Kamaka soprano now. I'll have to check out the Kpk's. Forgot about them........ Thanks!

Appreciate the input. Makes that one sound like a good deal for the price. $229.00 But, he does have a cedar/rosewood concert for just a little more. You think the cedar's barker then the mahogany one?

My Son has the Mainland long neck concert pineapple. He was going to get rid of it until he installed Fremont Blackline strings, which transformed it...in a great way. I think that Mele would be the one to beat. I have the KPK long neck soprano pineapple. Nice uke for the money, but it isn't very "big" sounding. I'm spoiled...my KPK concert is a "sound cannon"

I have a KPK (tenor deluxe) and two Ohanas. My little SK28 Ohana has a wonderful, full sound to be such a little thing. I took it to the UOGB concert today and handed it to someone to play. They were happily surprised by the tone. It is solid mahogany. My little Ohana sk28 came from Mim and it is very nice to play, as she did a great setup before sending it out.

PhilUSAFRet;1757970I think that Mele would be the one to beat. "[/QUOTE said:
Got offered a Mele from a fellow inmate. Sold! It arrived yesterday. Very nice uke for the price range. Needs some different strings, the ones on it aren't doing it any justice. So, between my vintage Kamaka sop, and tenor Gretsch solid mahogany, I think I'm covered!

Top Bottom