Low G Soprano

whistleman123

Reaction score
If I want to set up a Soprano in C tuning with a low G string do any modifications need to be made to the nut and bridge? Or do I just restring it and start playing?

Nup. Restring and start playing. If the G nut slot is too narrow it still should nestle in the top OK. Concert will give you a nicer, warmer and more full bodied sound though in my opinion. Good luck with it.

Restring and start playing.

I found low-G on the already low-tension, short scale soprano to be too "flabby".

Make sure you have found a string that will sound good for your uke before any alterations to the nut or bridge. You might have to try several different brands of low G, and you don't want to do any altering until you are sure it is necessary. For a string that short, you might have to go with a wound string (get a polished one to reduce finger squeak).

–Lori

Restring and start playing.

I found low-G on the already low-tension, short scale soprano to be too "flabby".

I was sent a set of Worth low tensions with the low G so I tried it on my soprano and not only was it too flabby, the intonation was pretty bad.

I had a diamond head soprano i put low G strings, on (oasis warm low G) and it sounded great
without any additional set up.

I love my soprano with a low G. I use Aquila strings for that- just get a set for soprano with low G & start playing! (Sounds great on my B&J Serenader)

I've tried Aquila "reds" with a low-G, both on concert and soprano. To be honest, a "normal" shaped soprano is just a little small to allow the low G string to resonate properly. If you've got the option, a concert is a much better choice, or failing that, a "pineapple" soprano does quite a good job with it's slightly bigger body.

None of this is to say that a "normal" soprano won't work with a low G, just be prepared for a possibly lower volume G string than you might have hoped for.

As always ... YMMV ;)

I was sent a set of Worth low tensions with the low G so I tried it on my soprano and not only was it too flabby, the intonation was pretty bad.
Worth Low G strings: the literary equivalent of Fifty Shades of Grey.

If I want to set up a Soprano in C tuning with a low G string do any modifications need to be made to the nut and bridge? Or do I just restring it and start playing?

Some here are obviously happy with low G soprano. Others have pointed out some of the problems.

I suggest you read this before you go any further. It gives you, in simple language, some of the technical issues in choosing a tuning. The basic point is that a soprano body is too small to resonate effectively with a low G. The C in standard GCEA is about as low as you can go and still get a top quality sound from a soprano. In my view they sound better tuned ADF#B which takes you even further from your desired low G. My own feeling is that low G belongs with a tenor uke.

That said there are some who fit sopranos and concerts with low G strings and are happy with the result. Each to their own. I prefer to tune tenors reentrant DGBE than low G GCEA. The G is the same in both cases but for me the reentrant tuning is what the ukulele is about, otherwise why not just get a short scale tenor guitar?

Oh! there is one?

Yes. It's called a baritone ukulele. :nana:

Last edited:
Top Bottom