Spruce and maple

LOVEAGOODUKE

Reaction score
I,m interested as to what members feel about spruce and maple in a tenor would do for the sound.Would it be bright or will it depend on the luthier?

Listen to all Maple from Loprinzzi and you will hear a very suite sound. Not too bright and definitely not harsh. I am hoping to play a Moodyville gypsy tenor in Sitka and maple next weekend and suspect the same.. I'll update if I get opportunity to play but judging how sweep my Sitka/black Walnut Moodyville is......... I would think they would sound very similar. So my feeling is builder makes difference.
YMMV

Sorry fat fingers on my iPad. The Loprinzzi all maple was a video on HMS ...see what you think. Still trying to figure out how to upload sound samples of my tenor. Suite = Sweet. And Sweep=Sweet... My bad! (g)

It will depend on the luthier, but generally, spruce and maple make for a fairly bright, guitar-like sound, near the other end of the tonal spectrum from mahogany (mostly due to the spruce top).

Agree.
I have three spruce top tenors and I like the "guitar" like sound. You can change that to some extent with different strings but you will still have a fairly bright sound. Not really sure, but I think with spruce the back and sides make more of a difference, i.e. spruce and rosewood vs spruce and mahogany.

I haven't strummed a maple top I liked yet; all sounded a bit dead. Sort of like spruce but without the 'ring' and projection. I think maple really depends on the builder for I have heard maple top guitars that sounded great.

I recently acquired a solid maple/spruce topped concert uke and am amazed at it's high volume, sustain, and sweet brightness, without being overly brash. I will likely mellow it out a bit with some new strings as it came with Aquilas. It always matters how it's made.

One of my favorite combinations. I think its better described by others, than me (self serving of course):
easy google search for:

HMS Quilted Maple Tenor
Ukulele Friend Quilted Maple Tenor

MGM designed one, and "made" me make it, which I didn't initially agree with. However, Andrew had other comments if you care to read. Another search for:

Ukulele Review Exremely Awesome 2012 (below the Kamaka and Koolau)

Personally, Rick Turner makes the best all Maple Tenor I've heard (which is exactly why I was not thrilled that MGM had me make one, thinline no less - no pressure there. . . )

Last edited:
So much depends on the builder and his designs. I have an all maple tenor from Steve Grimes that's warm and loud with incredible clarity.

as long the builder is good. spruce and maple combo is really good. best ive heard or played was a Engalmann Spruce with Birdseye maple BnS.

I agree that the build of the uke will have a huge impact on the sound.

I have a Kamoa that is all solid - spruce top, maple back and sides. It is a factory uke but has a big bright rich sound. It rings clear and full. Interestingly, it has an arched back design. I'm sure this contributes to the quality of the sound.

Personally, Rick Turner makes the best all Maple Tenor I've heard (which is exactly why I was not thrilled that MGM had me make one, thinline no less - no pressure there. . . )

I was just looking/thinking about a flame maple sunburst Compass Rose...

Well, the guy who played a big part of Compass Rose ukulele's and who now builds under his own Hive Ukulele brand, shows that in the right hands Spruce/Maple can be exquisite. But, then, I'm an admitted "maple addict". Hard for me to turn away from that combo when done well. Links to two that I could not turn away:

Hive Adirondack Spruce/Quilted Maple Tenor:
https://vimeo.com/125222729

Collings Spruce/Quilted Maple Concert:
https://vimeo.com/93590285

Enjoy!

As others have mentioned, it too has been my experience that the general opinion that maple provides a bright tone and is an excellent tone wood to achieve that tonal purpose. Additionally, next to a highly figured Koa grain, Flamed maple is my second favorite for eye appeal as well. Ultimately the way the instrument is built and braced will have a significant effect on the sound as well, so shop around and check various manufacturers and price points, you may be surprised what appeals to you the most...

Has to be well made, but even then maple can be brash and jangly in combination with spruce. I seriously want a maple guitar, and I love bright, and haven't found one yet that I can stand. I came thisclose to a flamed maple Larrivee parlor but they are loud, crisp, and thin, it's all one spectrum of sound. Even some bigger bodied guitars I checked were the same. With the way smaller body I'd think a maple uke should be crisp and articulate.

Check out Brukos, they do a lot of maple, or used to.

Top Bottom