tenor and soprano? Help.

paisley

Reaction score
Beginner here
I'm thinking I'd like to get myself a tenor and my daughter a soprano ukulele.

Would that work?
In that, could we learn and play together, both with our fingers in the same positions - sound in the same key, and okay together iykwim.

Yes. No problem. They tune the same, chord fingering is same. They sound a little different (with soprano higher), but will compliment each other.

You'll have a great time.

The ukes are the same except for size and scale length. The tenor will have a few more frets. All the chords, notes, fingerings and chord shapes will be the same. The tenor is bigger in size soprano smaller ( I am guessing you know that).

oh that's great, thankyou. :)
I remember learning recorder at school, the tenor was different finger positions.
But that's made me happy, and feel good to go.
:music: :music:

Last edited:
Yes. No problem. They tune the same, chord fingering is same. They sound a little different (with soprano higher), but will compliment each other.

You'll have a great time.

Careful with your word choice here. "Higher" can be taken to mean higher in pitch. If a tenor and soprano are tuned the same, that is not the case. In fact, with more frets available, a tenor can play higher notes than a soprano.

...and maybe the two of you can switch ukes from time to time to keep learning more interesting. :shaka:

I had assumed that a soprano was higher pitch (like the voices), but I see what you're saying there.

Works fine. The only ukes that are tuned differently are the baritone (usually DGBE) and sopranino (no "standard" tuning, but generally higher than soprano). :D

If she has her eye on one of the pink Makalas with the dolphin bridge, those are great for beginners. And they take a beating.

Yep, hoping to. :)
mind you, I think she's got her eye on a pink one :uhoh: :eek:

uh-oh... maybe get two pink ukes. makes it even. :)

just a suggestion... maybe one uke can be tuned into a high G while the other a low g. Goodluck to both of you!

sopranino?
That must be really diddy!

Thanks for all the info :)

Yep, hoping to. :)
mind you, I think she's got her eye on a pink one :uhoh: :eek:

Don't let that put you off swapping sometimes. Pink ukes are louder than the other colours, and usually have better tone. It's that special pink wood...

Top Bottom