Applause UA20

whistleman123

Reaction score
Was/is the Applause UA20 a decent uke? I know they are not made anymore, but if I find an original in good shape is it worth considering? I've always liked the look and the maintainence free aspect of the composite back. But, are they good players or should I stop looking for one?

Also, I know there are knock off/fakes out there that look like the originals but are very poor quality. How can I verify one is the real deal, especially if it's an online transaction?

Last edited:
I've never heard of them before now. Off to google.... !

The Applause line of ukuleles was not particularly sought after which is probably why they are no longer made. Their acoustic-electric instruments were okay but their purely acoustic instruments didn't have a lot going for them.

I suggest you look at either a soprano Flea or a concert or tenor Fluke.

Here is a link to Elderly's current listing of Fleas and Flukes:

http://elderly.com/brand/180N_magic fluke company.html

I have one and it's a decent uke if you are an all the way strummer, mine seems to need a bit of beating to get a good sound out of it. Another thing is that the neck is super narrow and if you have fat fingers like mine it's a bit tight. Well constructed too...

I have a UAE20 and have used it for years. I love the little thing. However, I have noticed that quality control can vary greatly so be sure to have a "hands-on" tryout with any you buy, but if you find a good one, get it. They are sturdy, travel well, and (if you get the electric) sound pretty durn good plugged in (if a bit soft unplugged).

I have two UAE20's:

2802955036_8a44d0802f.jpg

Ukulele562.jpg

RolandAmp2.JPG

RolandAmp3.JPG

The black one was made in Korea and the ccheryburst one was made in China. The black cost about $370 when I bough it new and the cherryburst cost about $170 when I bought it new. The Korean one is much better quality. It takes about a year and a half of constant playing to break them in and then the sound opens up, along with the volume. Everyone who plays my black Korean one wants to buy it. Superb action, intonation and sound. It's not for sale and is my goto 'ukulele. Ric

MotuHawaiiParty.jpg

Mini3Busking.jpg

AC33MemorialDay.jpg

I see the other player uses an Ovation guitar. The original Applause guitar was made by Ovation from Kaman, I bought one in 1975, and 12 string a few years later, I traded in the Applause a few years ago and still have the 12 string. Glenn Campbell used a high end Ovation model for years (from which these ukes are designed, as are their mandolins), so did a number of well known guitar players through the 70s to 90s.

I found a used tenor koa uke with cutaway and electronics for $660, seems high to me, but they are rare. I've culled my collection down to my four favorites and I don't have enough disposable income to pay that much right now.

Top Bottom