How to cut brace matrial from a billet?

Tully Hill

Reaction score
I'm exploring ways to cut braces from a billet of spruce. I can saw it into 3/8" by 1/4" strips, but another suggestion was to use a froe to split strips in order to assure you have straight grain. The strips I got have to be planed or sanded to get smooth, square, strips. I've had fun making a pile of little wood scrolls and have some usable strips, but wonder if it is worth all that effort.

Wondering what is common practice. I'm guessing most use their saw.
Thanks.

Straightness of grain and quarter sawness isn't everything.

More important is to check for runout

Thanks. I did a search for wood runout and learned a bunch, I think. So much to learn. I got started down this path via Cumpiano's book. My 24 inch billet has a twist and has a bend at about 16-18 inches. Splitting has taught a bunch and yielded enough good sections to get my uke built. I now understand wht sawing would not show. Thanks.

The first source I read is: http://www.lutherie.net/frankford.runout.html

Thanks. I did a search for wood runout and learned a bunch, I think. So much to learn. I got started down this path via Cumpiano's book. My 24 inch billet has a twist and has a bend at about 16-18 inches. Splitting has taught a bunch and yielded enough good sections to get my uke built. I now understand wht sawing would not show. Thanks.

The first source I read is: http://www.lutherie.net/frankford.runout.html

I put any possible structural weird stuff i cant work around as close to the heel as possible as that is the strongest part. (im talking about necks now- i forgot this threads about braces...)

If there is a simple knot or worm hold, etc- (ie not going to maybe cause a twisting problem etc) that goes at the head stock where it will be covered with veneers :)

Years ago I bought a block of Sitka from LMI. Strait grain, no run out, but WAY off the quarter. By tilting the table saw blade I was able to convert it into a fine pile of quartered stock that kept me going for years. Huss & Dalton cuts the creamiest parts out of red spruce billets in a manner that makes a lot of waste. Some fussing around can often create a bunch of fine brace stock of uke size. I may never have to buy any again.

Top Bottom