Ukulele Treasure

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I was intending to buy a similar stash of this stuff from the US but discovered half a dozen 12' x 14" boards in the UK for the equivalent price. Factor out the shipping and duty and I just save myself $600!

I have already posted a link to my assistant playing a spruce combo made from this wood which is called Makore or African cherry. Buy it while it is still half the price of the less pretty and often dull South American rosewoods that are now coming on the market. There is plenty of this stuff in the US. It has a small/fine pore structure so is very easy to grain fill and finish. Though wildly figured is easy to hand bend. I have found it very stable - a US board I imported and resawed, the panels have remained stable and flat. From my first guitar made in this stuff to my most recent tenor it has not disappointed. If you are a careful re-sawer you will get a 4 piece set for under $12 US yield from a 1" board.

Stuff like this will not remain at the low price of $12 a bdft for long. As soon as vendors realise it's true value it will go the way of all 'tonewoods' and you will need to sell a small body part to get hold of the stuff...

I have already imagined it! See it in your mind first then make it a reality. 20 Californian Style tenors with tonavus are planned. Prototyping now with some of that Makore I bought last year...

Now's the time for a "like" button!

Ken Timms was buying Makore and discovered he had an allergic reaction to it: he may not be the only one so it may be wise to try a little before buying a huge quantity.

I have a uke with back & sides of makore and it sounds wonderful and looks great (not as flashy as Pete's stash, though). Lots of great tonewoods out there that don't get as much press but make great instruments.

Looks like a little guitar Chuck... I've worked Makore and am not allergic to it. I am allergic to ebony though :(

Top Bottom