Sperm whale tooth for saddle/nut

FinnP

Reaction score
I have a couple of sperm whale teeth and I thought they might be perfect for a new saddle or nut. First I cut one of them i half using a wood hand saw. It took a a while, but I got through. I wonder if it's safe to use a bandsaw for cutting the rest? The tooth is very dense, and when I hit one of the pieces with a metal object it has an almost ringing sound.
Any suggestions on how to cut it?

View attachment 84354View attachment 84355

I've cut a piece of very hard moose antler for the base of my Uke stand on a table saw with a good quality carbide blade and it cut beautifully. I can't see why it would be any different but I'll be interested to hear what others think. The trick is holding it secure so it doesn't jump.

if it was me I would stick them under my pillow and wait for the tooth fairy to visit with a pile of cash ;)

Too bad you just ruined about $1000 artifact. It's like using the Crown Jewels as a doorstop. Anyway, sperm whale teeth is a true ivory and should be treated as such, that is, watch for heat build up while working with it ( heat will cause it to warp or crack) and wear a good respiration mask. The safest way to cut that into slabs is to epoxy the flat side onto a sled of sorts and run it through your bandsaw. Keep in mind that whale ivory is very high on the CITES list and you will not be able to sell this uke or transport it out of state.

I inhereted them 25 years ago and they have lain in a drawer ever since. i did'nt kill the whale personally.

I inhereted them 25 years ago and they have lain in a drawer ever since. i did'nt kill the whale personally.

I've got no problem with that. As a former scrimshander I've worked with a lot of ivories including whale and elephant in the past (pre-CITES). I just think it's a pity to ruin such a beautiful artifact and cutting it up into little bits and pieces. (Perhaps you don't know the real value of it.) I've also used ivories as nuts and saddle and they are too soft for what I want. Good old ox bone works best for me.

i did'nt kill the whale personally.

If there was a sticky for the best ever quotes in the Luthier's Lounge this one has to be at the top of the list. Sorry FinnP, I'm not trying to be mean and I want to thank you for giving me the best giggle I've had in days. If you had actually killed the whale that would be a better story: "In order to procure nut and saddle material for my ukulele, I went down to my boat, went out and killed a sperm whale, extracted its teeth and brought them back to the shop". Now that would be cool.

But seriously, I would think that tooth enamel would make good nut and saddle material. However what it would do to your tools is probably not pretty. Ouch. That stuff is hard. Do not run this stuff through your bandsaw unless you want to ruin your blade. Also, I'm with Beau on this in that the stuff is much more valuable intact than it is being cut up for nut and saddle material. Melamine chopsticks from Mr. Lee's Chinese take-out would function almost as good and would be much easier to procure and work with.

Anyway, please don't take this wrong. Just having some fun.

Just call me...

Ishmael

If there was a sticky for the best ever quotes in the Luthier's Lounge this one has to be at the top of the list. Sorry FinnP, I'm not trying to be mean and I want to thank you for giving me the best giggle I've had in days. If you had actually killed the whale that would be a better story: "In order to procure nut and saddle material for my ukulele, I went down to my boat, went out and killed a sperm whale, extracted its teeth and brought them back to the shop". Now that would be cool.

But seriously, I would think that tooth enamel would make good nut and saddle material. However what it would do to your tools is probably not pretty. Ouch. That stuff is hard. Do not run this stuff through your bandsaw unless you want to ruin your blade. Also, I'm with Beau on this in that the stuff is much more valuable intact than it is being cut up for nut and saddle material. Melamine chopsticks from Mr. Lee's Chinese take-out would function almost as good and would be much easier to procure and work with.

Anyway, please don't take this wrong. Just having some fun.

Just call me...

Ishmael

Actually, sperm whale teeth are quite soft, along the lines of a fingernail or acrylic plastic as far as hardness goes. That's why I wouldn't use it for nut and saddle material--too soft. It would warm up a bright sounding uke but would wear rather quickly. Enamel is very thin and not a problem. As the OP had found out it is rather easy to cut as well. Thee are just better options IMO.

My good friend Brian Griffin from Griffin ukuleles goes to the local buffalo ranch here and gets the lower legs from a few slaughtered buffalo; fresh, hooves and all. Kind of gruesome when he brings them home but he says the bone from them makes it worth the effort.

Pat tells the truth. I use buffalo bone for nuts and saddles because a third generation bone carver on Maui told me that buffalo bone is 35% harder than ox bone. When you hit two pieces together they ring. Want me to send you a piece Chuck?

Now this would be interesting material: From New Guinea (italics are mine).

"Bone, sometimes a deceased relative's or an enemy's bones, are worn as a remembrance and as a way to attract their spiritual power. Among some of the Highland people, smoked human fingers and hands were worn on necklaces or used in native instruments called ukuleles."..

OK. I made the last part up.

Top Bottom