Waking up in the middle of night to play ukulele

Uke Republic

Reaction score
So this happens every now and then. Working on a tune for a day or so and theres that one part you just about have down but... So you go to bed and then you wake up at 3:00am and start to work on that part again and you get it! Now you can't go back to sleep until its time to get up! Ahhh! :)
Anyone else have this happen?

Yeah Mike. All the time actually. Got insomnia bad lately. Every night pretty much, and right now in )z it's 3.22AM and here I am with a cup of tea and a fag... :(

I wake up several times a night, but it isn't to play the ukulele. But sometimes I will be laying there trying to go back to sleep, and I'll start thinking of the lyrics to some song, and not be able to remember how a verse starts, or how it ends, or just anything like that. So once in a great while I'll get back up, and find the lyrics that I can't remember, then go back to bed.

I wake up several times a night, but it isn't to play the ukulele. But sometimes I will be laying there trying to go back to sleep, and I'll start thinking of the lyrics to some song, and not be able to remember how a verse starts, or how it ends, or just anything like that. So once in a great while I'll get back up, and find the lyrics that I can't remember, then go back to bed.

Ahh the lyrics! Yep, I've been song stuck a few times but its bad when Abba's Dancing queen gets stuck in your head at 3:00am :)

That was me, last night. Awake at 2.30am trying to remember the words to Sharp Dressed Man - don't know why - and something told me that I'd get to sleep if I remembered them. Of course, I was still awake at 3.30 having mentally wandered off several times. Looking back, it was trying to remember the words which was keeping me awake, not get me to sleep.

So this happens every now and then. Working on a tune for a day or so and theres that one part you just about have down but... So you go to bed and then you wake up at 3:00am and start to work on that part again and you get it! Now you can't go back to sleep until its time to get up! Ahhh! :)

This has never happened to me, but I do have a hard time getting to sleep at times and I wish I could play ukulele until I finally get the feeling that I can fall asleep. If I can get to sleep, I rarely wake up, thank goodness. But, if I did, I would want to be able to do something fun, like strum a little.

I'm up almost round the clock, seems like all I get is 2 or 3 hours sleep most nights. Problem with the middle of the night is there is so many rules...... No playing the ukulele, no playing the piano, don't wake up the dog blah blah blah.

Doesn't leave much to do sometimes

For me it's the songwriting. I'll be working on something during the day, it doesn't go well, so I put it aside. Sometime in the night I hear it, fully formed in my head. I used to be stupid and think I'd remember in the morning... Fat chance, never happened! Now I keep a digital recorder beside my bed and it's saved many a song. I usually don't pull out the uke, but I hear it in my head if it's a uke tune. Or I visualize/imagine playing when I'm falling asleep. That seems productive. I've gotten comfortable with lots of strumming and picking patterns that way.

Last night I couldn't fall asleep so I brought my brand new Kala from the case and got a little practice.

I actually have a ukulele lying on my bed.
If I wake up in the middle of the night I reach out and there it is, ready for playing :)

Insomnia? Heck no, I can barely stay awake long enough to walk to the bathroom and pee and walk back to bed.....and I walk right past the ukes.

I like to play in bed (play my ukulele I mean). I find that being horizontal makes for a good workaround to the whole should-I-attach-a-strap-or-not issue :)

Wow. I almost did this in the middle of the night last night. I was woke up and was thinking about a little flourish in a song I like and I thought, "Ya know, it's only five notes. Maybe he plays the E string open and then drops all four fingers. Where's my uke?!" But being 3:20am with a house full of sleeping people, I waited until morning. :)

Top Bottom