Tampa Bay Ukulele Society: Please Tell Me About It

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm considering relocated to the Tampa Bay Area when i retire.

When I look online for info about TBUS it seems like a large group but the only component I see meeting in in Tarpon Springs. I know some folks here are members. Please tell me about the ukulele scene in the Tampa Bay area. Where is it? Where are the meet ups? How many people are active participants? What is the general age of the participants? Anything at all I'm interested in knowing.

I think Nikki is part of the TBUS ... it sounds pretty vibrant and exciting.

I can only get up to TBUS occasionally, since I'm over an hour south but they are an active group. The main group does meet once a month for a jam (mainly out of the 2 Daily Uke books) but there is a South Tampa offshoot as well as a Sarasota group that also have regular meetings. There is also a monthly open mic at a local bar/restaurant. I'm sure Nicki can give you more info. She's very active and has an ancillary group that also has regular meetings (I think sometimes in a coffee shop). I've wanted to get up to hers as I've seen her set lists and I like her selections more than playing out of the daily uke most of the time. Wish I lived closer. The group has some age diversity but it does lean heavier toward the senior set. Between all the group subsets, you can certainly uke a lot. I've also been invited thru TBUS, to uke in smaller groups that get together casually to work perhaps a little more intensely on less songs, fleshing them out a little. All together, there are a lot of opportunities to get your uke on in Tampa.

Don't forget about TBUG (Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaway) in November! It's a uke festival, hosted by TBUS. I've heard nothing but good things, and hope to make it there, someday....

Top Bottom