Koa - infinitely variable

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
My assistant Tom Ziegenspeck just completed the finish and set-up on these two tenors - construction and voicing is currently my department... Although the tonal differences are quite subtle the sound is very distinctly koa. The first is koa from Maui and the second, koa from the Big Island. The first has a 3A+ curl while the second is very plain. The bracing patterns on each are similar but the first has an advanced soundhole and one fret shorter fingerboard. Both project very well and have lots of volume... You make up your own minds.

That was great Pete, thank you. It was nice that you put that demo here in the Uke Talk forum. This gives us all an education and something to ponder and discuss around the water cooler.

Man that statement just showed my age. Everybody carries around their own "personal water" now a days

Like the time I said to a group of high school students: " I don't know the answer to that but I will bone up on it tonight...." As the class fell about in stiches I could only wonder what I had just said: :biglaugh:

:anyone:

Top Bottom