John King Royal Hawaiian Music

brimmer

Reaction score
I've enjoyed the Royal Hawaiian CD for several years now. I have never heard anything else quite like it. The passing of John King in 2009 means that everything he recorded is even more precious to uke players.

To the best of my knowledge, the arrangements on Royal Hawaiian were never published, but a few of them are available. John's Classical Uke book has Alekoki and Pupu Ao Ewa, and Ukulele Tim gave us a great tab of Ka Ipo Lei Manu.

Does anyone know of other sources of tabs for the tunes on the CD? I especially would love to learn Sweet Lei Lehua and Nani Aale Lihu'e.

I have worked thru everything in John's great Mel Bay book. I also enjoy some of the intermediate arrangements in his classical book, but its his Hawaiian music I love most.

I have worked thru everything in John's great Mel Bay book.

That is quite an impressive achievement! I've worked through maybe a half-dozen pieces between his two books (over the last 6 years) so I've still got lots to keep me busy, but I wish there were more of his arrangements published as well. John King is probably the main reason I've not gotten frustrated or bored with ukulele - he set a pretty high standard of beauty to work toward.

Big props for working through those pieces in the Mel Bay. John King's playing has always intimidated me to the point of never even trying. I just wanted to add my name as one who also adores the Royal Hawaiian Music rekkid. One of the greatest ukulele albums ever recorded.

Luke, I hope you enjoy Ka Ipo Lei Manu, it is one of my favorites.

I'm glad to know there are others who love John King's music. Maybe someday a uker with a great ear will try to tab out some of his other arrangements...

Thanks, Camsuke and Brimmer! I look forward to trying it this week. Yes, I love King's books and music.

Top Bottom