Neck carving DVD rough cut

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Viewed tonight the rough cut of a professionally shot DVD on neck carving I did a few months ago. Tom Ziegenspeck and I did the music (well I played backing uke on 2 pieces last month) which was fun. It will be about 150 minutes long and covers machined and hand tool preparation, carving a Gibson style heel and carving a classic style heel showing rasp, knife and sand paper techniques... looking for peers to review the DVD. Trailers/spoilers out soon.

Last edited:
I am hardly a peer, but if you want the perspective of a novice who has built two tenor ukes from scratch and is mid-build on three and four, I would be happy to view and respond. Looking forward to seeing the video one way or another.

Nelson

Im so looking forward to this DVD’s release. I guess I (like most amateur builders) struggle with consistent neck carving. I never quite know ‘what I’m doing’. The end result just appears and I accept what comes out. It will be great to have a consistent systematic approach, working to a plan. I think this is where the DVD will help out!

If you want a building novice to ‘take a look,’ follow instruction, post reviews and show results? I would CERTAINLY be keen to do that.
Either way.. I shall certainly be purchasing a copy as soon as its available.
KEV

Any chance of a pre Christmas release Pete? Would make a great gift.

Last edited:
I'd also be interested in having a look at the video. I've built a tenor ukulele, under guidance, but I've done a lot of armchair luthiery online...

Thanks unkulele - I have already had a complete novice review the first cut and acted on his advice. My camera woman and producer were also very tight on bloopers and inaccuracies. I now need the equivalent of peer review which is essential for the Amazon.com distribution Artisan has. I am writing scripts in spare time on hand bending and jig and tool making for luthiers. Then I'll do the tenor ukulele build video for y'all.

Pete ... Given you probably can count the number of people you regard as your peers on one hand it might be more fruitful going to them directly and ask for their help.
i for one am looking forward to the marketing trailers//teasers :)

Good advice. However I would prefer the approach was the other way round. My peers are all those who build professionally for a living - more than I can count on both hands!

Top Bottom