For Sale Ahta San Kamaka 2002

TomThompson

Reaction score
For Sale Ohta San Kamaka 2006

View attachment 84409View attachment 84410View attachment 84407FOR SALE OHTA SAN Kamaka Concert Ukulele. Number 64056. Excellent to Like new condition. Totally stock. No modifications. Hard case included. This instrument named Honey Girl produces sharp, clear tones and was designed primarily for picking purposes . Price is $1500 plus shipping as buyer desires from Kauai, Hawaii.

tomthompson@hawaii.rr.com

Attachments

• IMGP0551.jpg
    IMGP0551.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMGP0552.jpg
    IMGP0552.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMGP0558.jpg
    IMGP0558.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I'm curious - what makes it an AHTA-San, as opposed to an OHTA-San? I'd assume it was a typo, but I recently saw a similar post on FMM also for an AHTA-San, so I figured it was time to educate myself :)

Aren't brand new ones around $1995-2100?

Aren't brand new ones around $1995-2100?

Current MSRP is $1995, including Gotoh UPT tuners. I think this one is priced on the higher end because there may be collector value based on the time it was produced - I'm not 100% sure though. I just know that when I had a late-model Ohta-San, every now and again someone would ask me if it was pre-certain year, which probably was 2002 (mine wasn't).

Current MSRP is $1995, including Gotoh UPT tuners. I think this one is priced on the higher end because there may be collector value based on the time it was produced - I'm not 100% sure though. I just know that when I had a late-model Ohta-San, every now and again someone would ask me if it was pre-certain year, which probably was 2002 (mine wasn't).

Apparently before 2002 the Ohta Sans were handmade by Casey Kamaka. This is the most expensive second hand one I've seen though.

I'm curious - what makes it an AHTA-San, as opposed to an OHTA-San? I'd assume it was a typo, but I recently saw a similar post on FMM also for an AHTA-San, so I figured it was time to educate myself :)

Looks like the same poster. Since they were designed by/built for Herb Ohta, I think they're commonly called Ohta-Sans.

PS, a lot of bashing on marketplace ads lately, seems like it would be better to PM the poster if you think the price is too high.

Looks like the same poster. Since they were designed by/built for Herb Ohta, I think they're commonly called Ohta-Sans.

PS, a lot of bashing on marketplace ads lately, seems like it would be better to PM the poster if you think the price is too high.
I was thinking that myself.
beautiful uke, good luck with the sale.

unfortunately it's been happening for years on this forum. I'm sure this Ohta san is really good--Casey is one of the most skilled luthiers around. Good luck

I was thinking that myself.
beautiful uke, good luck with the sale.

TomThompson, Welcome to the forum. Just so you know, it is not uncommon for first time posters who show up in the Marketplace to get bashed about a bit. Also, it is a bad idea to post your email address on a public forum.

Your description of the instrument is obviously copied from Kamaka's own site (kamakahawaii.com) so you must be aware that production of the model was never suspended. Additionally, when this instrument was listed for sale on FMM, you included a picture of the label which would indicate it is not a custom build and the serial number 064056 dates the instrument as a 2006 build.

That said, I own two Ohta-san model Kamakas and highly recommend them. They are awesome instruments. Good luck with the sale.

94784-2015-09-10-10.10.16.jpg

If someone posts an amazing uke like this for sale on the UU board we should see it as a happy opportunity. If the price or something else is not clear, a post to ask for clarification is a good idea. If you just don't like the asking price and you are not interested in buying, maybe its a good idea to let the seller work that out themselves. If you don't like the price but want a chance to buy the uke, obviously a PMed offer would be in order. But overall, we are lucky to see this uke here for sale.
I see it as an amazing uke based on the above information that it was made by Corey Kamaka in 2002, 13 years ago. It has been well looked after and probably sounds better than the OP description. We are coming into 2016 which could be a huge year for all things Kamaka. If you are having a ukulele collecting day, it is hard to find something more interesting today. The price is a bit of a barrier, but how many 2002 Kamakas, made by a Kamaka family member, in good condition, can you buy or even look at right now? Probably if you are having a playing day you would still be interested, but the price would be a bigger barrier, but if you are serious you can PM a serious offer after doing some homework to check that the details about who made it are correct.
I would like to thank Tom for the opportunity even if I am not able to buy it. UU is not the only selling platform on the internet.
Okay, where's the "like" button?

Top Bottom