Heavy or Light ukulele would be better in sound ?

Sonic

Reaction score
For same type of wood e.g. Acacia. I found different brands are different in weight. The kala acacia asac tenor is lighter than Pono acacia atsh-pc tenor

And when I strum, I found most lighter ukes can easily feel the strum vibration. But in some theories that good wood should be heavier or higher density.

So how do I notice if it's a good wood other than just listen to their voice.:D

I would think the "voice" would be a pretty important factor! Pick the one that you like the sound and look of the best! The Pono might be heavier because it has a bit thicker of a neck. Besides being twice the cost, is it twice as good? Pono might be built a little better, maybe, certainly nothing wrong with a Kala either.

Both instruments are good regardless of weight, they are both built by well respected manufactures. The over all weight of these ukes has next to nothing to do with sound quality. There are a lot of variables that go into the total weight of an jnstrument. Buy the one you like the sound of the best.

Most custom built instruments will be on the light side. They are hand built and the tops and backs can be made thin to resonate better. So yes if you are willing to pay $1500 and more than lighter is better.

Last edited:
wood species all varies in weight,there like humanes, none are alike but can be similar. its like saying whos sings better, the fat guy or the skinny guy.

As a rule of thumb, I always say the lighter ones will probably be better.

That's because 'lighter' probably means thinner. One reason why a lot of makers don't make ukuleles as light as the old Kumalaes and Martins anymore, is because those featherweights are more vulnerable, both during and after completion. After a few scrapped tops, and some customers complaining about cracks and bellying, you make everything a bit sturdier.

Do you know guitarrons? Those big guitars with short necks that play bass notes in mariachi bands? Well, the trick in them sounding loud enough with those blaring trumpets on the side, is that they are extremely light, and therefore usually considered expendible - they don't last very long...

Old Martin sopranos are usually around 250-300 grams, Kamakas around 300-350 grams, modern Martins are around 400 grams, while modern supermarket soprano ukuleles are more 450-500 grams.

I know there are tonewoods and uke sizes and notable exceptions and this-and-that, but it's useful to just pick it up and feel the weight even before playing. Even my students remark that when we pass around instruments: wow, this is much lighter!

The 'shopping with a kitchen scale' method does not apply to resonators and banjos, however, these actually need to have some weight to them.

Lighter is usually louder. But it's all a compromise. If you build a thinner top, you need more bracing so the top doesn't taco. Or you could use higher tension, or heavier strings on a thicker top to drive it harder. But both those things change the sound. You could make the neck thinner, or the headstock smaller, but then that will affect the sustain. A good builder will find a happy overall result. All the compromises... that's an art.

I have a KPK solid acacia concert. It's the heaviest hollow bodied uke I own. Volume and tone, and sustain wise, it would likely blow a similar Kala and the Pono out of the water. Several owners of the same model report similar results. Not sure I understand how or why. Sounds so good I don't care how heavy it is.
The heaviest uke is still a lightweight instrument.

Thanks yours suggestions and comments. I will believe my taste favour of voice to make decision. :D

I tried in the local shop and discover the popular Kamaka HF3 is so light in weight. And one of the K brand koa is much heavier.

Also, remember there's more than one acacia out there (prime examples: Acacia koa which we all know and love, and Acacia melanoxylon aka Australian blackwood). Kala and Pono may very well not use the same type. Even if they did, trees and logs vary.

My loudest uke is my heaviest, but it has a fairly thick neck. Its top is thin--I can see it bellying a bit--so the weight isn't from that part of the uke. But then, "loud" isn't what I think of when I think of an ukulele, and though my Kelii is the loudest and has the most sustain, I don't necessarily think of it as my "best" uke. They all have their own sounds and purposes. The Kelii is fantastic for a lovely slow tempo low G tune.

As a rule of thumb, I always say the lighter ones will probably be better.

I have an SK 28 Ohana, little teeny soprano that seems light as a feather. Boy, does that little thing pack a punch!!!!

My Blackbird Clara feels heavy compared to most wooden ukuleles, but it wails, sings, and can make a whole room vibrate it seems.

This is a worthy topic, with no simple answers, I see. I'd say that weight isn't THE determining factor in a uke's worth. Some people like a heavy uke, some people don't. I don't. My Ohana is lighter than my Kala, maybe because there's no electronics in it. My luthier builds ukes with what I consider a very heavy headstock and neck, he says this gives it more sustain. Maybe so, they're great sounding ukes, but I very much dislike all that weight at the top of the uke. It feels unbalanced, so balance is going to be a factor too. To me, having messed around with my ukes for 5 years, am saying that sound is the most important thing about a uke, and considering all ukes are different, a good uke could weigh more than a lousy one, and vice versa.

Pono Tenor ukuleles feel heavier because each one has a two-way adjustable truss rod in the neck. My Pono Acacia Tenor is a fine instrument in every way, and it rings like a bell when played! :cool:

Several makers I have spoken with aspire to a light weight uke, trying to get as close to the strength limits of the wood before the string tension causes catestrophic failure. They see weight as an important performance indicator. I am not sure if this is due to sound or if it is like part of a technical challenge.

You have spoken to some wise makers.

Think it also depends what are we talking about. If we are talking about the soundboard, then that's one thing. If we are talking about the overall uke weight, then that brings in more things into the discussion. I know some luthiers believe in a heftier neck or other parts to help in the sound. Look at Turner Compass Rose ukes and I believe they are heavier than many, at least the one I have is my heaviest uke. But, it has a great sound. I am sure other Turner Compass Rose uke owners can also validate this. So, I would caution about making any generalizations.

I think most people will agree that the soundboard has the greatest influence on the sound of a ukulele; the type of wood, thickness and how it is braced. I'm guessing that it accounts for a fairly small percentage of the overall weight of a ukulele. And it is probably better to be lighter, but once you drape your arm over a quarter of it...

The part that I'm not so sure of anymore is exactly how the rest of the ukulele influences the tone. I tend think that the small size of a ukulele is not influenced as much as a guitar when it comes to back and side thickness (weight) and bracing. I'm not even sure if the neck weight is more important than the neck joint in producing more sustain... does a more solid joint outweigh the weight/mass of the neck.

I will say that there are greater forces at work than weight because if you suspend a ukuele by the headstock and strum the open strings it sounds different than if it is sitting in a hard case and the open strings are strummed. And in both cases the soundboard is free to vibrate.

John

Huh?? If the instrument sounds good...(you finish the statement)

Top Bottom