Low g wound C string?

Ukulelerick9255

Reaction score
How many of you playing with a wound low g also use a wound C string? What is the differences or advantages to using a wound C also? I play a tenor size.

How many of you playing with a wound low g also use a wound C string? What is the differences or advantages to using a wound C also? I play a tenor size.

I like the consistent tension from string to string along with the tonal balance across the strings.

Some people mix and match. Like get the first two or three from one brand (e.g. Southcoast) but change out their low g for a Fremont squeak less. I like the Fremont but have just purchased the Southcoast set with the wound c and g to give them a try. I have become very impressed by the Southcoast sets.

South Coast HML-RW is my go to set of low G strings, has the wound 3rd and 4th. HML-RW stands for Heavy Mediums Linear-Round Wound. I was speaking to Dirk two days ago and these are currently out of stock. They are also discountinuing the availability of single strings, which is a shame.

I know Doc J has bought single wound 3rd strings from one of the mail order string sites. Maybe he will jump in and tell us where.

Last edited:

Wound strings have more mass and can drive the soundboard harder. By using wound bass, you can get more volume/projection. Also wound strings have a different sound. By using 2 wound bass strings you get more of the differences. It ends up sounding bigger, and kinda.. more guitar like.

I use a wound C and low G on my M Style 5 string uke. I like the power and definition that the wound strings have over all unwound. They add focus to the low end, especially when you dig in a bit. Also, with two wound strings I find that any string noise isn't as noticeable, probably due to you being used to it over just having the lone wound string that sticks out much more.

What's the deal with Southcoast strings being out of stock? The majority of their Low G strings are out of stock. The HML-RW's have been out of stock for awhile now. Is there a supply shortage? Any word when they will be getting more stock on the HML-RW or others?

What's the deal with Southcoast strings being out of stock? The majority of their Low G strings are out of stock. The HML-RW's have been out of stock for awhile now. Is there a supply shortage? Any word when they will be getting more stock on the HML-RW or others?

They are coming out with their 1.5 series of strings. This is a reworked improved version of their previous models. Dirk said they are naturally letting existing stock deplete while waiting for production to be complete on the new stuff.

Send Dirk an email, he is very open and responsive

Some people mix and match. Like get the first two or three from one brand (e.g. Southcoast) but change out their low g for a Fremont squeak less. I like the Fremont but have just purchased the Southcoast set with the wound c and g to give them a try. I have become very impressed by the Southcoast sets.
That is what I usually do. On my new Loprinzi tenor, I kept the Freemont polished low G, replaced the C with a wound C from a GHS set, and used some Oasis floro trebles I had sitting around. The C it came with was really thick and sounded dead. this combo really works on this uke.

Top Bottom