Luthiers looking for an apprentice

A little bit more information might be helpful Ukulerick. Like where do you live? Australia? Spain? California? What level is your experience? In 25 words of less explain why you want to build ukuleles?

You would be very fortunate to have such an offer... I am receiving sponsorship to help me employ an assistant. I couldn't do it without a benefactor. Apprentices are nearly always a business 'cost' rather than an asset to the business. All the best - there is very little serious money to be made in this business. It would be far better for you to offer you services for free to a local luthier in your spare time and at his convenience and keep this as a 'serious' hobby. My assistant put it this way:

"Even if I was to win the lottery I would still build ukulele - in a better workshop but I'd still do it. It's a passion you know?" To which I replied that I did. My wife has supported my efforts to live my passionfor over 38 years now....

No luthier would take on an apprentice unless that person had already a very good handle on instrument making.
We simply don't have the luxury of training someone with no skills into a luthier.

So... start making! :)

Rick, keep looking around and you'll find an opportunity with the right person.

How about schools? There's the Roberto Venn school in the US, Sergei De Jonge takes runs year long (I think) courses in Canada, Robbie O'Brian does courses (online ones as well). Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head - there are plenty more in other countries. Obviously you have to pay, but there is no way of getting into this hobby/profession for free. Either you have to pay someone to teach you or you teach yourself and buy all the tools, materials ect.

As Beau has said, only a Don Quixote optimist would believe that a luthier would take them on and PAY THEM for the privilege of sucking all the knowledge out of them and then setting up in competition to them after they have left to 'travel the world'! Sorry if I am a bit grumpy about this - it is however how things work. I have taken on an extremely talented assistant. He gets paid a good salary. He is allowed to run his own business alongside mine and sell from my workshop. I have complete respect for his work and he for mine. I can do this because of where I am in my career and where he is in his. This, I think, is unique. I do have a slot for an intern who wants to learn more about the craft. This would cost them $20,000 for 9 month's tuition which is 3 weeks in every 4 (I have a week off every 4 weeks to do voluntary work for my Church). Anyone want to take advantage of this drop me a line... In the 9 months over a year you will have taken part in the building of 120 tenor ukulele - that is a great learning opportunity. You also get to build one instrument a month for yourself under the watchful eye of my assistant... What else are you going to do in the week I'm not there?

I have taken on an apprentice or two in the past and they have always paid me for my time and materials. I usually regret doing so because it slows me down so much. Each time I think never again and I've stuck to it for now.

Last edited:
I read a great story on the web about a classic guitar luthier who actually apprenticed in Spain and now builds absolutely stunning guitars. A true story. I'm sorry I forget the luthiers name, but the story goes something like this: He was a young man around 20 and had built some guitars and got the bug big time. He really wants to build beautiful guitars in a bad way.

So he sells everything he has, gets a plane ticket to Spain, rents a dumpy apartment, makes a list of all the big luthier shops, and starts literally knocking on the doors of these people and asking if they would take him on as an apprentice. His list was something like 35 shops long. He said that most of the luthiers were kind and polite and declined to take him, but there were some that were, well, not very polite (ha ha ha! sound of slamming door). Then finally he hit pay dirt after weeks of tramping around and got taken on at a very reputable shop. No pay. Stay out of the way. Worst jobs. One gets the feeling that they took pity on the dusty American kid that really, really, wanted to make guitars. Plus they saw free labor.

So anyway, they can see the kid has talent, isn't going to injure himself or others, has the passion and is fun to be around. Eventually he starts pulling a pay check because he became valuable to the shop and he spends years helping make guitars and learning the trade, eventually returns to America and sets up shop and makes a living making very high end Spanish style classical guitars. Great story and it is true. But here is the thing: It is a rare story. Kind of like being a pretty good basketball player and then making it to the NBA. Chances? About less than a hundredth of one percent. So why did this guy make it?

- He knew how to build a guitar. He knew what he was doing
- He was willing to go all in and risk everything that he would be taken on
- He had talent
- He was pleasant to work with
- He was lucky
- He was aggressive
- He was willing to work incredibly hard for nothing
- He had dream and he followed it

Many are called. Few are chosen.

Top Bottom