New Headstock Design

Eh Chuck, is dat goin be one option?

Yeah, I think so. First I have to see if a uke with that headstock will fit in the cases I buy. Doh!
There's a saying around here when you build something new: Build to fit your cases!

Chuck:

I usually like traditional 2-tuners-per-side headstocks - until I saw that one! Jaw-dropping, eye-popping beautiful!

Some day...some day...

Hah! What I wouldn't give to have your gift Dom. There's no tricks really. Just as with what you do it's just a lot of friggin work. And you never get to the point where you think you've got it and you can relax. It's constantly challenging to me.

You put us all to shame Chuck - superbly executed mitres. My eyesight isn't great any more - I have to wear vari-focals and they really distort everything. Whereas before I could align a lot of stuff by eye I now have to compensate and do a lot more checking, re-measuring and lining up in very good light - no workshop lighting for me any more...

I just couldn't contemplate such work so.... :worship::worship::worship:

I think I need to contemplate retirement:D

You guys should see the rest of it:

IMG_1005.JPG

You are the man, Chuck!

I couldn't help but notice the coconuts on the tree. Did you inlay those, or airbrush?

On a side note, where is the workshop going to be held in April? We're flying over your way for a family trip and I thought I might come by and harass you guys, mostly Aaron. (If that's cool with you)

My eyesight isn't great any more - I have to wear vari-focals and they really distort everything. Whereas before I could align a lot of stuff by eye I now have to compensate and do a lot more checking, re-measuring and lining up in very good light - no workshop lighting for me any more...

I know just what you mean Pete. I'm only 56 years old and bought my first pair of drugstore readers about 10 years ago. Now I've got about a dozen eye glasses in my workshop, each one dedicated to a task. I buy them by the handful in the cheapie bin. The powers I need keep getting higher and higher! I find myself using the 10 power OtiVisor for most of the intricate work. It has a focal length of about 4" so it's tiring. I know that if it looks OK through these lenses, it'll be fine under normal viewing.
The one thing I've been trying to find is GOOD work bench lighting, the kind you can move around. I go through swing arm lamps every few months it seems. I have two one the bench with 100 watt bulbs in them and I guess they get too hot because they keep falling apart; switches, housing, etc. Bob Gleason has one of those dental lights that I covet. Bright and cool. I've looked everywhere for a professional, durable swing arm type work bench light and just can't find one.

You are the man, Chuck!

I couldn't help but notice the coconuts on the tree. Did you inlay those, or airbrush?

On a side note, where is the workshop going to be held in April? We're flying over your way for a family trip and I thought I might come by and harass you guys, mostly Aaron. (If that's cool with you)

Hey Paul,
The coconuts are either fossil walrus ivory or mastadon ivory, I can't remember which. It's not enough ivory to cause you concern when you're going through customs but it's enough to give you minimal bragging rights.
We are meeting in Kona next month (Uhg). I'm on the Puna side, about three hours form Kona. Most of the guild members are in Kona so that's where this meeting will be. Where are you flying in to? If it's Hilo I can give you a ride to the other side. I also hope to make a koa buying stop or two. Lemme know.

wow...i looks like my fender strat but ways nicer...damn!

Wow! I only asked if they were airbrushed, because the joints are so tight. That is truly amazing work.

We're flying in to Hilo and staying for a day, then driving over to Kona. I think it's my inlaws' first time there, so we'll be taking the scenic route. I'll shoot you an e-mail or pm with more details. I'd like to drop by if I can, and meet the builders over there. We're pretty tight with most of the Oahu guys, but we're not over on your side of the woods too much.

Please do that Paul. I'm down in Opihikao, down by the water. God's country. Also near the lava flow so you'll probably be down this way anyway. I'm also pretty close to the Gleasons. Stay in touch.

Absolutely beautiful.

Top Bottom