tablature generating applications?

Lori

Uke Crazy
UU VIP
Reaction score
Have any of you used Guitar Pro 5, or TablEdit, Final NotePad or any other Mac friendly programs to create ukulele tabs? I would like to try one of these out, but figured somebody in the forum may have already had some experience (good or bad) with a program like this. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

Lori:anyone:

I can barely say "tablature generating applications". :confused::cool:;)

I have both Guitar Pro 5 and TablEdit. Guitar Pro 5 is a little easier to learn and use but has very little flexibility when printing. TablEdit has a more awkward interface (especially for Mac users) but you can tweak it more to get the output the way you want it. Both are very capable though and have free demos, so play around with each and see which one is a better fit for you. (I've also tried most of the others and it came down to these two for me.)

I use Guitar Pro 5. I don't have too much trouble with it. It's pretty easy to learn, I'd recommend it. If you get it and need help, just give a shout.

I use Sibelius, only because I already had it for making regular notation. Probably overkill if you're only interested in tabs.

Although they do make a "lite" version called Sibelius First. It does guitar tabs, but I'm not sure how well it supports the uke.

JJ

Thanks guys!

I think I will check out the demos for Guitar Pro 5 and TablEdit. In the end, they are both the same price (around $60). I like the way you can have a chord sheet in TablEdit. How well can these programs accept lyrics? I don't see any lyrics on the TablEdit or Guitar Pro 5 samples. Also, do both programs handle ukulele chord diagrams well?

Also, is any one format more versatile for importing existing tabs, and changing them? For example, could you easily import an existing simple melody tab, and add chords or harmony to it?

Thanks for the info!!
–Lori

You can add lyrics in Guitar Pro 5, but it's not very intuitive. I don't know about TablEdit.

You can import PowerTab files, Midi, and text-based tabs into Guitar Pro also.

I use GuitarPro for all my tabs and chords. I wrote about it here:

Guitar Pro 5 Review

I only tried TablEdit briefly. I really disliked the interface.

I think GP has the edge when it comes to importing since you can import PowerTab files. And you don't seem to be able to export PDF files with TablEdit.

You might want to look into TuxGuitar. It doesn't officially support ukulele but you can change some settings to make it work. It can import/export Guitar Pro files and import Power Tab and TablEdit files, and it's free.

Also, is any one format more versatile for importing existing tabs, and changing them? For example, could you easily import an existing simple melody tab, and add chords or harmony to it?
Both will import and export a variety of formats easily.

PowerTab runs great under Linux using WINE!

For those using PowerTab - how can I set it up for an Uke?

testing

You might want to look into TuxGuitar. It doesn't officially support ukulele but you can change some settings to make it work. It can import/export Guitar Pro files and import Power Tab and TablEdit files, and it's free.

I started testing out Guitar Pro 5, TablEdit, and Tux Guitar. It will take a bit more time to really test it all out, but I was impressed with Tux Guitar's Text. It allows you to name the chord diagrams, and also add lyrics. There is much to explore here. I did like Guitar Pro's user interface. And I like some of the formats available in TablEdit.

thanks
_Lori

Sibelius is my weapon of choice - once you know how the basics, it's pretty user-friendly. Extremely easy to tab and add lyrics - you can even write for multiple ukes! :) (Ya know, for when I compose for my future uke orchestra...lol)

nobody home at Guitar Pro?

I was using the Guitar Pro 5 Demo today, and decided I wanted to buy it. Clicked through to buy, and their website was down! :wallbash: It shouldn't be like this when you're willing to spend money! The demo has restrictions on only saving the first 24 measures of the song, and I am ready to go beyond that now. I could try splitting the song into 2 documents. :( Are the Guitar Pro people flakey, or did I just catch them on a bad day?
–Lori

I haven't dealt with the GuitarPro people, sorry... I wouldn't know.

Top Bottom