Baritone ukulele purchase help.

Derecola

Reaction score
Looking to get into a nice baritone ukulele looking to spend around $1200 to 1500 max. What do you guys and gals recommend!

It depends on what sort of tone and what ukulele "feel" (neck thickness, fretboard width, radiused or flat fretboard, etc.) you prefer, but in your price range I would suggest the following:

-- A used custom that you get to play before buying (for example, you might be able to buy a plainer Mya-Moe used at a price like that) or a Kamaka baritone.

-- Kamaka. I have a few baritones and recently started playing baritone in my Wednesday evening ukulele class whenever it performs, and I love the sound and feel of my Kamaka baritone. Kamaka baritones sell new for $1,495. Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto has a 2013 Kamaka baritone for $1,150 and a 2003 Kamaka baritone for $1,125.
https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/products?utf8=%E2%9C%93&view=&taxonomy=instruments&grid=grid&sort=up&price_sort=down&type=instruments&filter%5Binstrument%5D=115531&filter%5Btaxon_second_children%5D=116941
Kamakas are production ukes and while they're all well made, there are variances from one to another, so if you can, play one first, or at least listen to a sound sample, or get a full refund return guarantee.

-- Kanile'a. Kanile'as are wonderful instruments and have a sound I like as much as Kamaka's sound. I find, however, that the fretboard is a little wider than I like it, which is the only reason I don't own a Kanile'a instrument. Depending on the model K-1, K-2, K-3, or K-4), Kanile'as sell from between approximately $1,000 - $2,600.
http://kanileaukulele.com/k-2_baritone.php?osCsid=99900289ee6c0f96491673c592d97af0

-- Pono. When I had a Pono baritone (my first) they were not very expensive and although they were well made, they didn't compare with higher end baritones. Pono now has a higher end line that I hear are wonderful instruments that sell for prices up to just below your minimum, aroudn $800-$1,000. They're incredible values, though, and I've been told that they sound as good as their more expensive rivals. Ponos' necks are thick (measured from the fretboard to the back of the neck), and you should play one first to see if a thick neck is comfortable for you.

It would help, in getting advice about your purchase, for you to determine and articulate what you're looking for in a baritone ukulele. In your price range, there are baritones with different choices (I can tell the difference between, for example, a Kamaka and a Mya-Moe by ear) and what physical features, like neck thickness and fredboard width) you prefer. UIf you live near a store that sells ukuleles, go there and play all the baritones they have, regardless of the price, to develop a feel for similarities and differences. Good luck and be sure to post what you decide!

For the best baritone ukulele, I always recommend a vintage Favilla that you can usually buy from $350 - $500. I had a very clean and wonderful Harmony baritone as well that I bought for $250. Both had 19" scale and were joys to play.

John Kinnard made me a modern Favilla, but it is more guitar than ukulele. To me it's the ultimate baritone. Quite a bit more in terms of price and quality when you're ready.

You can get a world class baritone in that price range. In fact, you can get a Series 1 Kinnard. John makes an amazing baritone (I've played two of them -- both absolutely stellar). I've also watched a number of exceptionally good musicians pick up his baritone and watched their faces as they played it. Invariably they were very effusive on its tone and playability.

I'm not sure if you already have a baritone and have full confidence in ponying up for one in the world class price range. As you probably know, the baritone market is smaller and I would be prepared to take a bigger hit and/or more time to sell than on a smaller size if you later decide to sell. With that in mind, you can also get a perfectly nice baritone for far less than your range if you want to having something now and make sure you really love it before ponying up to the big leagues. Your ear may vary, but I think for $400 the Pono Mango baritone is hard to beat. It's quite the buy.

Let us know what you decide!!!

where can i get one of these old favillas you speak of?

man you can probably find a good used custom for that budget.

i have 4 baris

1 Kamaka, 1 Kanilea K1, One Pono Custom and Kala SMHB.

Ranking. Kamaka 4th, Pono 3rd, the thick glossy finish kinda dims the volume., 2nd Kanilea (great looking koa, nice size and sound, but comes second because it cost $1100) 1st place will be Kala SMHB only $300 at HMS with setup and i trip out how good this thing sounds. all solid hog. My favorite Bari so far.

For the best baritone ukulele, I always recommend a vintage Favilla that you can usually buy from $350 - $500. I had a very clean and wonderful Harmony baritone as well that I bought for $250. Both had 19" scale and were joys to play.

John Kinnard made me a modern Favilla, but it is more guitar than ukulele. To me it's the ultimate baritone. Quite a bit more in terms of price and quality when you're ready.

Do you have picture of the baritone you could share?

Strums Favillia is one of the better deals I've seen for a Favillia.

It was a toss up when I sold mine; the F. or the '62 Martin. Sound wise the Favilla had a deeper more bluesy sound but the slim Martin neck was the decider.

Don't overlook a Giannini baritone. Folks rank them right up there with the Favilla and Martin. The average price for a Giannini on the 'bay (per a quick look about a month ago) was around $175, with $225 on the top end for a beautiful instrument. I stumbled into a Giannini from 1977 a couple of weeks ago and am very impressed with the remarkable tone and intonation. It's definitely a keeper. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
I thought about purchasing a Baritone for a long time, but ended up learning guitar. I thought if I'm going to put the effort to learn the DGBE tuning than why not add the two extra strings. Also playing the guitar adds to the ukulele playing. I love playing both of them.

My thoughts about a Baritone is why not just play guitar. I know the guitar has two extra bass strings, but you could also learn guitar. You can also just play the first four strings of the guitar. You would have a baritone.

I would definitely try a less expensive baritone and see if you like it.

I'm always a little nervous about buying older instruments. A lot of times they have been kept in less than optimum condition. Usually you end up spending money for a luthier to fix problems.

Also for the price of used instrument, you could purchase a nice basic Pono Baritone. The instrument could be setup for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom