Pre-1932 Martin 3K on FMM

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
Gorgeous pre-32 Martin 3K on FMM. Seems well-priced at $4,500, but not my area of expertise. I can't "jump" on it unless I want to be single tomorrow, which I don't. ;-)

Curious as to what our Martin buffs think?

I hope the store finds a buyer for the probably perfect Martin 3K. That would inspire me to relist my 3 3Ms at 1/3 the price.

I have a near-pristine 1923 Martin 3k (koa) that I would sell for $3500.

The FMM price seems high to me.

Jake's is right near me, I will have to take a drive over and stop in to see this beauty in person...

I have a near-pristine 1923 Martin 3k (koa) that I would sell for $3500.

The FMM price seems high to me.

Steve, definitely your wheelhouse, not mine so I'm sure you're right. Were I even remotely able to buy I would have checked with you first. Have these come way down like the Style 0's and 1's have?

not sure what the value for these..as still many out there....I asked Stan to chime in....he might have a better idea...

I know the super old 5K tenors are gone...maybe only 2 or 3 left...they go for big money....:)

Took a ride into Beacon, forget about even getting near Main Street on a Saturday. I took 3 passes before giving up finding parking anywhere close. I'll try again another day should they still have it.

Took a ride into Beacon, forget about even getting near Main Street on a Saturday. I took 3 passes before giving up finding parking anywhere close. I'll try again another day should they still have it.

Ukuleleden, if you are interested in a Martin 3K, I would sell you mine for $1000 less than the one on FMM. It's in amazing condition. Why selling? I need dough for a Muni (mountain unicycle), and I have a few Martins as it is (see signature ...lol). Also, Gibson Style 3. PM if interested (with your email) for photos. Cheers, Steve

Ukuleleden, if you are interested in a Martin 3K, I would sell you mine for $1000 less than the one on FMM. It's in amazing condition. Why selling? I need dough for a Muni (mountain unicycle), and I have a few Martins as it is (see signature ...lol). Also, Gibson Style 3. PM if interested (with your email) for photos. Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve!

Thanks for the kind offer, but no I am not in the market for any investment grade (read big $$) vintage instruments. Since I was close driving distance, I was simply going to look at a fine instrument like that in-person :drool:

-UD

I don't know of any other pre-1932 ukes with no cracks, the original case, plays well with a nice tone and the provenance of being owned by a showbiz person that are on sale today.

Then you don't know my no cracks, ideal tone, with original case, ukulele.

If the "provenance" of the mystery previous owner is worth a thousand clams to a buyer, then buy the one in NY. :D

Thanks for your reply, ukuleleden. Gotcha. And best to you with the Koa Fluke. Loved your Sheffield, MA story on the other thread.

My mid-20s Martin 2K does not have any cracks and does have the original case. I don't really know anything about vintage ukuleles, so I don't know how many of these there are without cracks and with original case. When I was looking for a soprano ukulele so I would have one of each of the three sizes I was interested in (tenor, concert, soprano), I liked the sound of this one best by far of any I had tried, so I bought it.

Tony

Thanks for your reply, ukuleleden. Gotcha. And best to you with the Koa Fluke. Loved your Sheffield, MA story on the other thread.

Sure thing... And my next trip to Sheffield I promise some pics that I forgot to take on the last trip as I was so wrapped up in the fun.

I just think the store is testing the waters...they can't be serious, unless they are trying to hook a sucker :)
it better be ultra mint for that price...that is quite a bold price, before mark up was in the hundreds, now i guess its getting in the thousands wow

Last edited:
I am also in Beacon from time to time and know the owners of that store. The uke looks pretty nice from the pics. I have one just like that one but will take a look and report back. They prob got the price from VG Price Guide. I am sure that if anyone is interested they will dicker some. They are good folks.

Last edited:
I know the super old 5K tenors are gone...maybe only 2 or 3 left...they go for big money....:)

I was not aware that Martin even made a 5K tenor but then I looked in my copy of Martin Guitars: A Technical Reference, p. 214 and there is a photo of one. I can't imagine what one of those or a concert would with the soprano version going for high 4 figures these days.

I had the opportunity to visit Jake's music yesterday. The owner of the music shop is a very nice gentleman and most hospitable. I was able to briefly personally inspect this Martin 3K ukulele. It is in pristine condition with no damage and no sign of any place where there may have been a repair whatsoever. While I do not have a trained eye for what may be a restoration instrument I highly doubt that this was anything that may have been restored. It has an honest original look to it that I don't doubt is the way it was some 80 years or so ago. The owner of the store was very kind to spend some time with me reviewing the consignment owners conveyed information about the ukulele. There is no definitive celebrity name attached to the instrument, so that wouldn't be a reason for any perceived added value.. It was simply noted that the owner of the instrument had cared for a relative of the consigner who had performed with the ukulele in the New York City area back in that era. All the value is in the wonderful condition of the instrument itself and the era it comes from.

While I would love to own such a beautiful and historic instrument as this, it is simply beyond the budget amount I would spend for a ukulele that I wouldn't play, when I have options like ordering a new HI or custom made MA made model for much less that would be enjoyed much more.

It seems that if a fair amount was offered for this very nice Martin 3K ukulele, that it may find a new home. Good luck to anyone who may be interested in it as it is certainly is a treasure and appears to be a nice collector's grade ukulele.

My own ukulele endeavors, however, remain with buying a few more Custom flukes and fleas even after holding such a beautiful historic ukulele in my hands.

Ukuleleden, thanks for the follow-thru. It sure does look exceptional in the photos but I am a novice in these things. While I've seen pics of others that were reportedly repair free, none looked to be close to this condition.

Top Bottom