Grumpy Start to the day.

Timbuck

Reaction score
Why are some ukulele players obsessed with having a lightweight headstock and swap over the tuners to get rid of a few gramms ?? and then go off to the Ukulele club and sit there all night with a heavy Electronic tuner clamped on the headstock :confused:...Other players of other types of stringed instruments don't seem to care.
Violins for instance I rarely hear of a violinist sawing off the lump of wood called the scroll on the end of the neck to make the ballance better..Mandolins and those Portugese little guitar thingies seem to have more heavy metal than an AK47 Kalashnikov..and and electric Guitar players don't care at all, the more chunky the tuners the better....And the hardware on a fender bass must weigh in at half a Kilo...Yup!! I got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning Full of vitamin "F" :eek:ld: (rant over)

Last edited:
It's because someone sometime started the idea that a lightweight headstock ( even ukulele - you have the weightists who are always comparing the weight of their instruments) was what was needed. What you ideally want is a balanced instrument but what you must have first is a loud, perfectly made and intonated thing with plenty of guts and sustain.

Hopefully you will receive a parcel from me today with a nice little challenge that will stimulate your brain in better ways Ken. Have a good weekend.

... and breathe!

And a challenge for Timbuck, I wonder what that could be?

H

Top Bottom