Why Do I Keep Doing This to Myself???

Katz-in-Boots

Reaction score
I have a Kamaka Ohta-San. It lives with my other ukes, cases, music stands & amps in the dark cupboard under the stairs. I plan to sell it to fund other uke purchases (or even just pay off my credit card) because the scale is just that bit too big for my hands.

Every now & then I do what responsible uke owners do; I get it out & top up its humidifier, check it over and tune it. As you do.

Then I strum a few chords. That sounds so good I do a little picking. Then I do some more. And strum some more. I know I can't play it for more than a few minutes without upsetting my injured hands/neck/shoulder, so it's pointless keeping it. But soon I'm thinking; "this sounds so darn good, how can I possibly sell it?"

Sigh. Same with my Ubass. I love playing bass but can't put in the time to learn how to play it well, so I really should pass it on to someone who will play it. Which reminds me, I forgot to check on the bass, I'd better do that next, just to make sure it is okay before I list it to sell....

This is why that dark cupboard under the stairs conceals my shame: ukuleles I almost never play. At least my Kanile'a is out of the cupboard at the moment.

It isn't exactly UAS (though I just bought another one), but inability to let a good uke go. I can't be alone in this dilemma.

LOL, I was thinking the same thoughts not more than a couple of hours ago. I have ukes that I should sell. I get them out and play for awhile then put them back behind the curtain to the closet knowing I'll wait awhile to make up my mind. It's a toss up of selling the '62 pristine Martin baritone or the Webber baritone. Strumsilly's selling his Favilla started this whole cycle up again so I'm blaming him. Also Dave Eberts message on Pono coming out with a short scaled tenor guitar soon didn't help either.

Your not alone Katz but it sure seems that way when it comes time to make the choice of which one.... if any.

I will join the walk of shame with both of you. My walk takes me to the basement which has become the island of misfit ukes. There is a Koaloha Opio concert, Gianinni baritone, Collings UT2 sunburst, Loprinzi mahogany super soprano, Compass Rose 5 string tenor.

All great ukes that I love but playing time varies from once a week to once a month. All except one were bought used so I got them at a good price and I keep them because.................well I'm not 100% sure why. I guess the same reason as Katz in boots, I open up the case and play it a bit and I start to smile. Then I am doomed.

Last edited:
I won a Waterman, and I decided right off that I didn't need another ukulele. I thought that I would find some deserving person and send them on the journey. I still have it.

hahaha... I've been on the other end of this uke lovers dilemma. A while back when I was hunting for a uke here in the UU marketplace, I finally bit the bullet and put in an offer on a fine instrument that had been for sale for about a week. By that time the seller was already having seller's remorse before even having sold the instrument! I topped up my offer but to no avail, the seller was too attached to the uke and decided to not sell it after all.

I have no idea how to explain this. I have NO ukes sitting in cases. Mine are on stands, unless I'm playing one or schlepping one around in its case. Tammy's, on the other hand, sit for days. Go figure. She does have guitaritis though. When one of mine goes unplayed for a few days, it gets picked up and reminded that I love it, too. If I ever have any that I don't play, they find new homes. I don't like clutter, even if it's uke clutter.

I only have one Uke that isn't getting love.

I could find the heart to love the Ohta San AND the Webber Baritone if either of you feel compelled to sell to fund other Uke purchases. LOL.

I love Ohta San ukes. I wonder how much they cost?

I guess "If ya hafta ask, ya can't afford it."

LOL

I have no idea how to explain this. I have NO ukes sitting in cases. Mine are on stands, unless I'm playing one or schlepping one around in its case. Tammy's, on the other hand, sit for days. Go figure. She does have guitaritis though. When one of mine goes unplayed for a few days, it gets picked up and reminded that I love it, too. If I ever have any that I don't play, they find new homes. I don't like clutter, even if it's uke clutter.

Same same.

Mine all get played or they go out the door. No room for uke clutter here either and I just don't have the heart to impose uke neglect on any of my jumping fleas.

Having been through a similar dilemma recently with an Ohta-San... I'd say that playing it at all is what you're doing wrong! Kidding, sort of - but when I start thinking about selling a uke, generally I wait until I haven't played it for at least 3 months and then decide what to do. Out of sight, out of mind, etc., and so far, no regrets or seller's remorse. I'm in the "I hate clutter" camp too, even if it's uke clutter, but then I live in a 250 square foot house and every possession is carefully considered.

MSRP is $1995. If one can play that scale length, and one can afford it, they're worth it IMO. But personally I'm much happier with my lesser Kamakas that are more my size and less flashy, at half the cost.

Chances are (it sounds like) you won't miss it if it's gone. I've been downsizing ukes -- life in general -- and trying to be anti-Hoarder...

I'm guilty too. I have seven now and of that two I've been telling my teacher I'm going to sell (for almost a year). (Sigh) Maybe...

In the first 18 months of playing uke, I went through 16, but a few months ago I culled them down to my 4 favorite, but I was also learning the bass in the last few months and now that's all that I've been playing (I'm up to 7, I show only my bass ukes below). I look at my 4 ukes in a humidified display case and know that I will not get rid of them, vowing I will pick them up, but hardly do.

Lend it out for a few weeks. That's one way of testing wether you can actually do without it.

I have a similar dilemma. I have three that are doing very little. A decent soprano that I won in a prize draw at a uke festival and for that reason I'm loathe to let it go, a banjo uke that's loud and I just rarely play and a U Bass that I need to spend time on but somehow don't manage to. Of the three, the banjo uke is the one I would find easiest to let go. If I want loud, I can just as easily plug in one of my Risas.

I do also have three others that aren't doing much but they all have a use. One sits in the car and is my have handy if I've got a few minutes somewhere. One is a plastic Korala that is a loan uke for my uke group if a newcomer turns up without an instrument and one is a Risa stick that I have plans for once I get a round tuit and order some new strings while I'm at it.

One solution that has worked for me is to build a display case for the Ukes. That way, you can see them every day, and you get to enjoy having them even if they don't get out to be played.

I too understand the dilemma well. I started the uke journey in 2009 and started purchasing at an average of about one a little more a month. I've acquired the likes of fluke, fleas, Glyph, William Kings, Koalohas, Kamakas, David Gill, Gary Gill, Southcoast, DaSilva, Kiwayas, Martins, Tangi, Boat Paddles, Talsma, Koolau, etc.- well you get the picture. I have done some trading with some fellow UU/Flea market members, but haven't actually sold any. Some excuses I use is that I don't no how to post pictures on the UU site although I don't know how to send pictures via email, the market is to soft now, and when I pull them out and play them I think "do I really want to do this". I like them all, but I have decided when I do break down to downsize there are some I I would keep and not necessary my custom/ costly ones. By the way, I am looking for a Santa Cruz to trade for something if you got one... :)>). I guess there are worse dilemmas in life that are a lot more important.

I guess "If ya hafta ask, ya can't afford it."

LOL

LOL that would be me. I kinda know how much they cost as I've seen them in the marketplace. And I know I can't afford even half the asking price. So rather than insult the seller and the uke, I never make offers, but always look! :eek:

Ohta Sans are great, but I've found that having fewer possessions and less clutter can make you substantially happier. I think if you sell it, you're going to be fine--you might miss it but that will eventually dissipate.

Yeah, to get an Ohta-San new I'd have to sell all my ukes. To get one used, I'd have to sell my Kamaka pineapple and Barron River concert. Neither of those is ever happening. So I wait for that lottery win or that inheritance from that long-lost relative....

Top Bottom