Ukulele Aerobics

philrab66

Reaction score
Hi all
Thinking of buying this book. I have looked inside on Amazon and it looks really good I noticed it starts off really easy can somebody please explain how it goes on further in the book. As I can not seem to find this out by the reviews. Does it carry on as week 1 & 2 by learning new chords and scales etc....
Thanks Phil.

Hi all
Thinking of buying this book. I have looked inside on Amazon and it looks really good I noticed it starts off really easy can somebody please explain how it goes on further in the book. As I can not seem to find this out by the reviews. Does it carry on as week 1 & 2 by learning new chords and scales etc....
Thanks Phil.
I did not like it. It started out pretty good, but later just sort of got lost in itself. It doesn't build on itself. I got half way through it, and gave up. If you like doing exercises just for the sake of doing exercises, you might get along better with it.

I don't like UA at all. You can find threads about it by clicking on "Search Forum". It's at the right side if you're using an iPad. Gotta go!
:eek:ld:

I've been using it to get into a more structured practice/playing routine, and possibly find and break any bad habits I may have incorporated into my playing that should be corrected. For that purpose alone I am finding U.A. excellent. I like doing drills that instill movements become more natural, and for that this book excels as well. I haven't had a long term experience with it, but in the time I have been working through the pages, I have so far found it as money well spent.

I've been using it to get into a more structured practice/playing routine, and possibly find and break any bad habits I may have incorporated into my playing that should be corrected. For that purpose alone I am finding U.A. excellent. I like doing drills that instill movements become more natural, and for that this book excels as well. I haven't had a long term experience with it, but in the time I have been working through the pages, I have so far found it as money well spent.
Might I ask what week you are on?

I also like it and for the same reasons. I've been using it for several months and but am on week 9 or 10 since it is just a guide for me. I pick and choose which exercises I do and which I don't. If the exercise is still a challenge to me then I'll repeat it. Lots to work on. If I never get to the second half of the book I'll still feel I got terrific value out of the book.

Sorry I had to cut my post short, but my wife called me to lunch, and I DON'T miss meals!

In the past UA posts, most didn't like it, but some did. I guess you pays yer money, and you takes yer chance.

I just bought a coupla books from Amazon, but I don't usually buy books from the Internet. I'd much rather buy them where I can look at them first. So far I've bought three books that I consider to be wasted money, and UA was one of them.

I hope this post was of some help. :eek:ld:

Might I ask what week you are on?

I'm on week 8 and I have formed a routine where at the beginning of each new week (Monday), I first go back through the entire prior week's excerices those drills of that week before doing the new set of chord excerices on the Monday's of the new week. If you focus on the fact that you are learning by repetition of the structure itself, you should come to appreciate how it builds up ability.

I'm a fan. Pretty much a beginner, and find this book to be a nice methodical way to introduce new chords, skills & techniques. Like a couple previous posters, I don't stick to their schedule but just work through a 2-3 page span and practice the individual lessons that i feel like working on. The first few "weeks" lessons go fairly quickly, then you quickly get into more complicated things like hammer-ons, scale excercises, etc. that take longer than a day to get comfortable with. (at least for me)

It's definitely "dry"... it requires a good amount of determination & focus but I like that aspect of it. I use it as an alternative to strumming songs which is certainly more fun but might not develop the technical skills that I feel like i get from the book

All in all, i like it and would recommend it

I just bought a coupla books from Amazon, but I don't usually buy books from the Internet. I'd much rather buy them where I can look at them first. So far I've bought three books that I consider to be wasted money, and UA was one of them.

What were the other two?

What were the other two?

"Hints and Tips For Advanced Ukulele Players" - H. M. "Heeday" Kimura. Mostly tricks and other stuff that I don't wish to learn.

"Thumpin' On The Old-Time Uke. Clawhammer Ukulele" - Barry Sholder and Jessica Garrett. I only knew a few of the tunes and had trouble reading the tabs. I found Aaron Keim's Clawhammer Book much more usable.

I bought the 2nd book from Amazon (I think), and the UA too. I bought the "Hints and Tips . . ." from a store so I'll take the blame for that one.

I don't usually buy CDs or DVDs on the net either, but I have bought a few that are all right. :eek:ld:

Hi philrab66

I recently purchased this book and I've found it very helpful. Definitely one I'll use regularly. This might be a really stupid question but can I upload an image of a later week? I know amazon doesn't show it.

It basically ups the chord/ strumming/ arpeggio difficulty in a very smooth progression week on week. It's a great book for 15min daily practice slots which goe perfectly alongside the more fun jamming and learning songs. Also, it does offer some fun riffs and licks too.

Saying that though it does lose it's way, like Rllink says, but not so much that it's useless. Just annoying in the sense that it could have been a better book.

Last edited:
Top Bottom