Tennis Racquet Ukulele

DanielHulbert

Reaction score
FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender111.jpg

This was a fun and fairly quick project. I made one a few years ago, but this time I removed the tennis strings and added a wood back and top. Even with the really thin body, it still sounds pretty good. The top is basswood, the back is birch, and the fretboard is walnut with a 17 inch scale length.

Pretty cool sound!

is there a way to get a cheap archback? this would give it some power!

I just remembered we're talking about a uke made from a tennis racket...

Looks more like a paddle ball racket, very nice.

Great project-its got me thinking about doing something equally simple and unusual. I too am surprised at the sound it produces.

TaPoise: "is there a way to get a cheap archback? this would give it some power!" As I wander around stores I often look at things like pressed bamboo trays/fruitbowls and wonder if they could be used to make a uke. One of these days I'll find the perfect form, something the right size and shape for a back or top.

Very cool. This is GREAT! :music:

After seeing the master's latest work, it seems like I no longer want for one of those thin-body 'travel ukes' since I'll be trolling the garage sales looking for an old racket to convert.

Looks like it will also probably fit in your luggage, or you can get one of those fancy racket cases with a name like 'HEAD' or 'PRINCE' on them that has the shoulder strap and walk right onto the airplane and most folks wont even notice the tuners.

Awesome Daniel!

Thanks for sharing! :)

I like that idea of using a tennis case. The older and smaller wooden racquets should fit great in a larger modern soft case, even after tuners are added.

Top Bottom