New Ukulele Book

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
I recently bought the "Clawhammer Banjo for the Complete Ignoramus" book with CD - Wayne Erbsen, and I find it to be GREAT!--good explanations, big printing, lotsa info and very good writing. It also teaches different tunings! I got it from Amazon. I also have a small song book of his, and it's also a lot of fun.

So what? you Ukists ask . . . Well now there's a new book out - "Ukulele for the Complete Ignoramus"! Now, I haven't seen it, but, if it's as good as my Clawhammer book, it'll be well worth the money.

I'm just telling how well I like mine, but I haven't seen the Uke book. If ya get a chance, look it over, it might be just what you need.

Erbsen's put out a lot of other books too, even cook books! He's also at nativeground.com. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Daft question, but do you think the clawhammer banjo technique would work on my 3 string CBG? It has a similar sound to a banjo. Unless I'm playing it, in which case it sounds like a banjo falling down a flight of stairs, shortly after having been tied to an angry raccoon with a pocket full of marbles.

Cheers for the heads up on the uke clawhammer book, Dick. I've been thinking about buying an open backed banjo-uke of some description.

Read my post more closely, Big Kahuna. It's not about Clawhammer Ukulele. It's about a new Uke book, probably for beginning uke players. I haven't seen it, but I really like the other Erbson books that I have though.

Good luck with your clawhammering. I'm finally making some progress with mine. :eek:ld:

My "clawhammering" more closely resembles "making a fist and punching the occasional note out of the strings"

Now all I need is a book of Clawhammer Ukulele for Complete Maniacs.

I second Recstar's recommendation. The only downside is that the included CD won't play in my CD player though it will play on my computer.

Do you have this book, because it comes in three separate issues according to book.depository.com

If bought separately, each one comes with a dvd. But the big version has all three with CD and for the price is an excellent deal.

None of you UUers, who stole my post, seemed to have read it at all, but, that's okay, your info was simply better than mine I guess--ahhh, well . . .

Tsk, tsk and a double phooey! :eek:ld:

Oh, I'm glad to have run across this thread! I was one of the proofreaders of Wayne's new book 'Ukulele for the Complete Ignoramus', and actually learned to play the ukulele in the process to make sure that the book did its job. I know I'm probably a little biased, but the book is awesome. It has really good songs, the method is easy and it got me playing without making me want to tear my hair out, like most music books do. It has a nice mix of genres-gospel, swing, bluegrass, folk classics, etc, and has both the melody (tab) and chords (including chord diagrams above the tab and a diagram of what strum(s) to use on every song).

Just to clarify, it is NOT a clawhammer uke book... Wayne has written a number of instruction books for stringed instruments, including clawhammer banjo and ukulele, but they are definitely separate books :). It's structured similarly, though, so if any of his other books worked for you (they generally do!), I'm sure you'll love the ukulele 'ignoramus' book.

It's available in all useful formats: Spiral bound (w/cd) from the Native Ground website or Amazon, printable PDF (on NG website), or Kindle. The digital versions come with a link to download the MP3s.

Links here:
http://nativeground.com/product/ukulele-complete-ignoramus-book/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1883206987/

I'd be happy to answer any and all questions about this book! If any of you are in uke clubs who would be interested in using this book out, let me know and I'd be happy to give you a special 'ukulele underground' discount :)

Thanks, nativeground, I feel lots better now that someone has read and understood my post. I'd buy other books from Wayne.

:eek:ld:

In case anyone was wanting try out Wayne & Ted's new ukulele book (Ukulele for the Complete Ignoramus), it is on sale on Amazon Kindle right now! For the next day the Kindle edition is on sale for only $2.99, which amounts to an 87% discount. Even if you already play the uke, there are a lot of really great songs in the book, including lyrics, as well as gorgeous vintage ukulele art :). The link to the book is here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016R3U6CA/

Now all I need is a book of Clawhammer Ukulele for Complete Maniacs.

You could try Barry Sholder's "Thumpin' on the Old-Time Uke", a Book of Old-time Fiddle Tablature For the Ukulele

It's not a teaching method, you'll need to have mastered at least the basic "bum-diddy", but it's a nice selection of introductory repertoire.

Despite the title, it is actually a book of Ukulele tablature, no notation, though note length and tempo are indicated in the "normal" fashion.

As an alternative, indeed as an addition to, the above, try Aaron Keim's Clawhammer Ukulele Instruction Book http://quietamericanmusic.com/storestore/clawhammer-ukulele-instruction-book-digital-version , though do note, there is a newer version about to be published http://quietamericanmusic.com/storestore/pre-order-clawhammer-ukulele-2nd-edition

One difference between the three-in-one and the individual books is that the individual books come with a DVD of Daniel Ho while the all in one comes with a CD. I am about half way through the beginner book/DVD and find it very helpful for a noob like me.

I see someone already posted this info. Sorry for duplicating. Also, I have been looking at the Uke for the complete ignoramous and it looks interesting. Haven't taken the final leap to buy it but am seriously considering it.

Top Bottom