Types of Wood

plucky

Reaction score
Just been reading up on a couple of reasonably priced concert ukuleles - Is Sapele wood with Aquila strings ok for a reasonable tone, or should I stick to mahogany or something else? Many Thanks.....Ian

Welcome to UU Ian!
I am no expert in woods, but I believe that Sapele is very similar to mahogany, but it is more of a sustainable wood and often less expensive. For an entry-level ukulele it is fine.

Taylor has been using sapele on some of their guitar models for 10-15 years(?) as a replacement for mahogany.

John

+1 on KoAloha Opioids tenor. It's Sapele and while it took awhile to open up with worth CT and now Oasis brights strings it's a very nice sounding all Sapele ukulele. For me in high g the Oasis btights got more of the zing I like. Strumming this Opio is very warm. With Oasic I get more top end. I thin it's an under used tone wood. I would love an Opion with spruce top and Sapele sides and back.
ymmv

(g) ...........fat fingers on iPad mini in my car....haha...... Good one!

I like the term, though, even if it was a typing mistake.

My sapele Opioid is my best sounding uke, but it is likely the best built and best set up one, too. So, it becomes a chicken versus egg issue.

Hmm.. Some interesting stuff there.. The particular uke I'm interested in is the Laka VUC30 with Aquila strings. It's available at my local supplier. Maybe someone on board already has this model and could advise me. Thanks all.......... Ian.

ACTADH.........
Are you saying your Opio IS your best sounding uke AND the best built best set up one? I just didn't get the "but" part of it!

My Opio is a CANNON - really barks out the sound - LOUD. I guess that is what KoAloha is about with their Unibrace design.

Cheers

Top Bottom