PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the new Stew-Mac Safe-T-Planer

tcjbrown
10-21-2015, 02:33 PM
Hello everybody, as the title suggests I 'd like to find out whether or not it's worth my time and money to pick up the new version of the safe-t-planer that Stew-Mac are selling.
Unfortunately a drum-sander won't be possible for a while and I'll need something for thicknessing until I can pick one up.
Thanks.

edit: link to stewmac planer: http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Planes/StewMac_Safe-T-Planer.html

sequoia
10-21-2015, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I also saw the new SMD offer of the safe-t-planer. This is of course the Chinese version of the old Wagner saft-t-planer design which has been oft discussed on this forum. I've always found the idea intriguing, but have never used it so I can't comment intelligently on how it would work. However, word on the street is that the blades dull pretty fast and maybe that is why SMD is offering replacement sets of blades??? Also, read the instructions on setting up your perfectly flat base on your drill press which entails building a "table" attachment. So it is more than just chucking the thing in and going to town. Also, the name says "saf-t-planer" but you don't necessarily want to plane your fingers so guards have to be built into your jig.

I don't know, the price is cheap enough. Why don't you buy it and report back? I'm all ears. I say go for it.

tcjbrown
10-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I also saw the new SMD offer of the safe-t-planer. This is of course the Chinese version of the old Wagner saft-t-planer design which has been oft discussed on this forum. I've always found the idea intriguing, but have never used it so I can't comment intelligently on how it would work. However, word on the street is that the blades dull pretty fast and maybe that is why SMD is offering replacement sets of blades??? Also, read the instructions on setting up your perfectly flat base on your drill press which entails building a "table" attachment. So it is more than just chucking the thing in and going to town. Also, the name says "saf-t-planer" but you don't necessarily want to plane your fingers so guards have to be built into your jig.

I don't know, the price is cheap enough. Why don't you buy it and report back? I'm all ears. I say go for it.

Unfortunately after conversion to AUD and shipping to Australia it's not so cheap.
I should probably clarify that I already know how the safe-t-planer is properly used, I just wanted (and would still like) everybody's opinions on this specific model.
I'll probably pick it up in a couple of weeks, if I do I'll be sure to report back with how I feel about it and any issues.
First problem I could see with it is the lack of the sharpening wheel that was supplied with the original safe-t-planer; the blade needs to be kept sharp to actually work and replacing the blades every time they get dull could be expensive.

Pete Howlett
10-21-2015, 08:47 PM
I have developed a Safe T Sander... You gett to make one at my tool and jig making masterclass. Gives a better result than the Safe T Planet.....

Timbuck
10-22-2015, 03:14 AM
See here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l98KobHZ0rk

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
10-22-2015, 03:30 AM
I use to use a SafeTplaner in Australia to thickness headstocks etc, but found it way quicker to just bandsaw and sand on the disk sander.

I think money is better spend on a 12" disk sander or $$$ towards an edge sander (something i dont have yet but want)

Ive seen some people thickness tops/backs/sides with a safTplaner which might be a cheaper options then a drum sander.

Pete- what do you use them for????

oud272
10-22-2015, 04:40 AM
I ordered mine from Amazon (actually shipped by Woodtek) complete with sharpening stone for $39.99.

I used it to thickness the head stock and it worked fine.

After using it my chuck fell out of the morse taper on my drill press just when I was about drill a hole. The morse taper is not designed to work with a side load that the planer puts on it. I wouldn't feel safe using it again until I was able to lock the chuck into the morse taper. Hate to think what would have happened if the taper let loose when I has using the "safe"-T-planer.

Dave

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
10-22-2015, 06:52 AM
Another thing about safety

The more you can reduce any sharp spinning metal things in your shop, the better I think.

I used to use my router for a few trim cuts which i now just block plane which adds a small amount of time, but its pleasant time that has no way of hurting me.

taylordb
10-22-2015, 07:36 AM
[QUOTE=sequoia;1762566]....This is of course the Chinese version of the old Wagner saft-t-planer design....QUOTE]

I may be wrong on this but I think this is a new tool coming out of SM. I don't think this is the same Chinese copy of the safe-t-planer that has been around for a few years.

oud272
10-22-2015, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=sequoia;1762566]....This is of course the Chinese version of the old Wagner saft-t-planer design....QUOTE]

I may be wrong on this but I think this is a new tool coming out tool coming out of SM. I don't think this is the same Chinese copy of the safe-t-planer that has been around for a few years.

It may well be a different planer. The cutters are certainly different as they have 2 cutting edges. The woodtek one is made in Taiwan.

Dave

Pete Howlett
10-22-2015, 08:17 AM
Ken - I would not use that LMII one - it will create snail trails and will burnout the paper very quickly. My version is much better and is based on one John Gilbert mentioned briefly in a GAL publication in the 80's... Is it still available at LMII - can't find it in their online catalogue?

Anyway, I made mine for 3/$5. Works a treat :)

Timbuck
10-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Ken - I would not use that LMII one - it will create snail trails and will burnout the paper very quickly. My version is much better and is based on one John Gilbert mentioned briefly in a GAL publication in the 80's... Is it still available at LMII - can't find it in their online catalogue?

Anyway, I made mine for 3/$5. Works a treat :) Yes Pete! I've seen that one I remember.

Pete Howlett
10-22-2015, 10:48 AM
Will publish a vid of it next week -making one on Saturday with bandsaw, drill and router...