NUD: Just got my first baritone!

farmerjones

Reaction score
So after months of resisting, I finally succumbed and bought a baritone uke. It's a Kala KA-B and other the past couple days it has completely displaced my first uke, a Kamoa tenor.

While not the same quality as the Kamoa, this uke is really nice. Laminated top it looks like but it still sounds really nice. I played it for about an hour at the store before buying, and checked it over. Everything appears to be in working order.

So I've been thinking about strings. I'd like to go all nylon, so I was thinking about getting a full set of nylon strings for classical guitar and just using the four highest. Anyone here do this?

Congrats!

I don't use nylons on my ukes but I'm pretty sure the four highest wouldn't work unless you were going for a much higher tuning than DGBE. For that, I'm pretty sure you'd be using the middle 4. I like Living Water fluorocarbons for baritone.

I have no idea but welcome and congrats!

Congrats.

I don't use nylon strings, but for baritone I have used and liked Southcoast and Living Waters fluorocarbons as well as Aquila Red.

Try a wound set first. I changed to all non-wound a few months ago (living waters), as I did with my first bari a few years ago. Am changing back to a wound set. Sound, tension, string gauge, all subjective qualities, but I like it more.
The non-wound were thicker, so I had to adjust my nut. No big deal, but now I have to replace the nut again.
I went to the same process with my first baritone.

I took a suggestion from another thread and tuned my bari down to CFAD. Lowers the tension a bit. I still have the 2 factory aquila wounds on it.

Jim, I notice that, to make your unwounds sound decent, you've tuned up your baritone to A tuning, a different kettle of fish than what most of us are after.

Whenever I've tried unwound low strings on my 20" baritones, they've been terribly thuddy and floppy. Shortening the scale to 19" would exacerbate the problem
Well, the A tuning was not a typical set, you're right. That was a "custom" Living Water baritone set that I later learned were the same gauges as the low G tenor set. I was actually aiming for Bb tuning but it felt too tight so dropped down to A and it was perfect.

I did have the regular low D Living Water set on a Lanikai 20" and i liked it there. I never tried it on the 19" Bruko so you may be right that it wouldn't work as well there.

Top Bottom