Felt Picks

tori8984

Reaction score
My Dad has a baritone ukulele and a felt pick. He said that when he was a kid (in the 40's) that lots of people used a felt pick to strum with. The sound it makes is like brushing the side of your pinky across the strings.
I read in a forum somewhere that felt picks are still made but are not the same as the ones from years ago. people commented that they are too stiff and the sound is more like a plastic pick.
Has anyone seen anyone using a felt pick. Is it like a fad from days long past and no one uses one these days.

Attachments

• 3986.jpg
    3986.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 3988.jpg
    3988.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 18
I got talking to a guy in Hobgoblin music, London. he said he only uses them for picking /playing lead?? But anyhoo they sell felt picks this is their webby http://www.hobgoblin.com/london/index.php . I'm going to the shop next week to grab some bits and pieces and planned to try a couple of picks so I will be able to offer a very amateur review soon!
I tried a couple of really thin guitar picks when I first started playing uke and found that any kind of strumming action made too much pick noise, so I haven't picked em up since. I think most of the top modern uke players I see seem to pick with their fingers, although I had the pleasure of a teaching workshop with George Hinchcliffe from the uogb and from what I saw he uses a thick plastic guitar pick for all his picking.. who knows, I supose its down to the individuals preference.

9 picks!!!!
(that has to be a record for typing the word "pick" most times in 1 forum post!)

I have 2 or 3 felt picks with me. IMO, they're nice to have if you're just doing a fingerstyle and need that bright and clean sound when picking quickly or you just want your notes to have a greater attack to it. But other than that, I personally don't really HAVE to have it. They're just nice to experiment with.

Attachments

• jiminy cricket 26.jpg
    jiminy cricket 26.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 3
  • foghorn lghorn 01.jpg
    foghorn lghorn 01.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1
Top Bottom