PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever performed in front of a crowd?

rayan
03-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Just wondering how many of you have already took that jump and have performed in front of people.

NukeDOC
03-06-2008, 12:46 PM
one of few fears that i have. performing on stage. something i seriously need to overcome. working at it though.

so yes, i have.

GX9901
03-06-2008, 01:28 PM
I don't think this counts, but I've lead worship at church several times using my ukulele. It's not really perfoming, but I was playing the uke in front of a congregation of about 60 people.

Ian Boys
03-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Whenever I go camping with my buds (...okay... with my scout troop), I bring my uke along. Singing songs around the campfire with a uke is rather nice.

I'm also about to perform a series of french songs in my french class for extra credit... that's bound to be interesting.

Thankfully, I got most of my stage fright out of my sistem when I had a solo in an orchestra that I was in last year... my cello's endpin slid out, I completely freaked out, but I managed to rather uncomfortably get through the piece, and had it mostly scared out of my system...

UKESTAR
03-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Just at the uke jam...nothing too amazing. I did bust out Love Song with Arvin backing me on guitar. I was really stoked to hear the back up and see how the whole song came together and get assistance from Arvin..... I think it sounded pretty cool..:cool:

experimentjon
03-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Not on uke, but on Flute, yes. I suck too much at ukulele.

titoboy5
03-06-2008, 04:43 PM
yep! its easy when i know some people or if the person before me sucks, but when i have to follow some one good i freak out! childhood trauma from sunday school! but its getting better, i think?

Ukulele_Junkie
03-06-2008, 04:45 PM
performed a bit on the ukulele, but when i was a kid back in middle school piano recitals and jazz band concerts for trumpet. :D

rayan
03-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Whenever I go camping with my buds (...okay... with my scout troop), I bring my uke along. Singing songs around the campfire with a uke is rather nice.

No need to be shame of being a boy scout. I'm an eagle scout myself. :cool:

vince
03-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Not with an ukulele.
Both of my daughters (4 and 6) dance Hula and I thought it would be nice if I got more involved in their activities. Long story short, I joined the halau as a beginner drummer and after a few months of practice my first show was at the Pacific Islander Festival here in San Diego in front of a massive crowd :eek:. I've never been in front of sooo many people. I was shaking so hard my pahu basically played itself! :D

Fred Miu
03-06-2008, 06:47 PM
first performance, i was playing somewhere over the rainbow while these girls that studied tahitian dancing danced to my music.

BruddahMark
03-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Arvin- kuz.... no need worry you got the talent brah. Awesome. Ukestar you sounded great at the jam, wat you talking about?....

Ive played in many bands before I played the ukulele. But my first major playing ukulele solo to a big crowd was when I opened for Justin Young w/ Kata Maduli. It was to a packed house. Mostly wahines came to see Jus sing and play. So it was comfy jumping in I guess? HaHA... It was awesome, I had a great time. The thing I did days before the concert was to practice my set over and over until it was second nature. If you do that then it feels like practicing. People really dig the ukulele so it's easy for them to stay focused on you. Justin is now touring the world with Colbie Caillat (bubbly). He whips out his ukulele for a few songs and the crowd just goes crazy. Check him and Colbie out when they come to town.

One thing I learned from Jake S. is that he told me to pause and take a deep breath just before you begin the song. It really does clear your mind and you can get into your song a lot easier. Next time you see Jake play, you will notice he is still doing that.

rayan
03-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Not with an ukulele.
Both of my daughters (4 and 6) dance Hula and I thought it would be nice if I got more involved in their activities. Long story short, I joined the halau as a beginner drummer and after a few months of practice my first show was at the Pacific Islander Festival here in San Diego in front of a massive crowd :eek:. I've never been in front of sooo many people. I was shaking so hard my pahu basically played itself! :D

I think the shaking thing is common. I remember my first gig ever, I think I peed like 3 times before getting on stage, then once on stage I couldn't stop my leg from shaking. It was uncontrollable.

nikolo727
03-07-2008, 05:37 AM
i did a little bit of playing yesterday actually in front of the musical cast at my school. lol

i played a little bit of zelda, some hawiian tunes, somewhere over the rainbow, and of course summer breeze!

it was pertty cool but my church is now asking me to come and play for the worship team!

so im gonna do that pretty soon!

studentaccount1
03-07-2008, 06:10 AM
I played rhythm guitar in a reggae band that had some pretty big gigs @ the Shell, Sea Life Park and Blaisdell.... well big by local standards. That was back in the day though. When I first started, I got a little nervous before we got on stage but that went away.

Two things helped me:

1) Being really prepared... practice practice practice
2) This may sound stupid, but I never wore my glasses and had just bad enough vision that I could see everything I needed to (tripping hazards etc.) and the crowd was a bit of a blur.

I think that it helped that at the whose first gigs I was "just":rolleyes: rhythm guitarist. All the attention was usually deferred to the singers and lead guitarist.

revmykd
03-07-2008, 08:34 AM
I started out playing drums and bass in punk/garage bands and since then I've played multiple instruments in various bands leading to my current stint playing uke in two uke bands, percussion/bass in a garage rock band along with the solo performances. After some crazy "instances" in my early bands I've been cured of all my fears of performing live...you can't be embarassed by the same thing twice...right:D

rev

seeso
03-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Once a week, although the term "crowd" should be defined loosely...

albertmunoz
03-07-2008, 11:51 AM
At my local ukulele club, there was this guy that has dragged me up to play with him a couple of times, the first time we played "cows with guns", I was terrified but I got a buzz from it... next uke club meeting I am planning on performing with my girlfriends niece! should be fun

AdamTheHobo
03-07-2008, 02:46 PM
well considering that i have only been playin for about a mounth i dont think im goin to go on stage any time soon

dajoka
03-07-2008, 02:47 PM
i had to perform fo my in-laws ... if dat counts fo anyting, and den i volunteered (wit my wife) fo lead singing at a worship service at a homeless shelter. of course, i was on da ukulele, and my wife on guitar, but I went solo fo a while. i was so nervous. ha ha.

tsud123
03-07-2008, 07:48 PM
ive done a few open mic nights and i used to sing in church. but i've only performed with a uke once.

my friend, philip, and i performed "baby got back" ...i screwed up the words...and messed up on the uke...but it was still fun. haha.

davoomac
03-08-2008, 12:50 AM
I've never performed with an ukulele, but in highschool I played trumpet for band and sang for choir in front of pretty large audiences. I also was in drama in highschool where all these island kids had to act like hillbillies and I was the father hillbilly. ....it was weird.

tribal_theory1
03-15-2008, 10:16 PM
been playing in front of crowds since...about 2003. i've PERFORMED in front of crowds since 99. i used to do cultural dance (guamanian & polynesian).

Howlin Hobbit
03-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Like tribal I've performed in front of people for a long time. Started when I was 8 years old doing magic shows. That was about 42 years ago so I kinda got used to it by now.

Started playing music in front of crowds maybe about 24 or so years ago (not counting at church services maybe 35 years back).

I used to go in and see this jazz/blues band that played right around the corner from where I was living. First night I mention I play a little harmonica. Every night after the bandleader says "Where your harps?" until one night he says, "Didn't you say you lived close? Go get your harps!"

Boy do I know the leg-shaking thing. Then you shift your weight and your other leg starts in. But I played a couple solos with the band and then sat in regular with them for several years at clubs all over Seattle.

Now I've played music in front of crowds that were bigger than 1000's and even though I know I'm not the best player ever come down the pike, I'm pretty good at the "entertainer" parts and that's what mostly the audience wants. If you're fun with only 3 chords ain't nobody going to say, "Man, he don't play like Jake, so he sucks!", they're just going to have fun.

Most of the time the audience is on your side. They want to have fun, not challenge you to some sort of contest.

Just relax and play, the folks will dig it.

russ_buss
03-16-2008, 10:49 AM
just a few times in front of my family gatherings. about 60-70 people. so i guess that makes it a crowd. not in front of strangers yet. have to build up the guts to do that someday.

Ian Boys
03-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Heh... the french songs that I mentioned earlier went well, and were actually somewhat of a hit among friends and some people who I really don't know....

...and now my french teacher wants me to play at some end of the year stuff... awards assemblies, and possibly some sort of faculty banquetish thing, so... I guess I"ll see.

My school has 1200 people in my grade alone... 'twould be a rather large crowd...

Misguided Musician
03-16-2008, 03:56 PM
This is my second year performing in front of crowds and I've gotten used to it. I rarely even notice because the lights are pretty much blinding me.

koa
03-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Don't want to perform. In a way yes, but not anything I planned. Not large crowds. Just people wandering by that start to hang around. Good thing I really don't notice for a while. My mediocre playing takes a rapid decline to total garbage when a bunch of adult eyeballs are looking at me. Young children are no problem. Fun to let them handle the uke and show them a simpler chord, simple strum. The joy in their eyes! I can still relate to that feeling.

mcarreon89
03-16-2008, 06:02 PM
ya ive performed in front of a few people. best feeling ever hearing even the smallest applause let alone a great applause.

BUGOY
03-16-2008, 07:55 PM
I did most of my performing with my old singing group. mostly R&B and acapella stuff. but i had to pull double duty most of the time because i played the guitar. so there was alot more pressure one me. we performed in front of fairly big crowds considering it was mostly at highschool or college culture night/talent shows. It was fun while it lasted though. like what Misguided Musician said, when youre on stage and you got those bright lights in your face, you cant even see anything.

davoomac
03-16-2008, 08:12 PM
like what Misguided Musician said, when youre on stage and you got those bright lights in your face, you cant even see anything.

You guys are definitely right about the bright lights. I was front and center in a choir ensemble that performed in front of the university there was probably 2000 people in the building, but you could only see the people in the front row. It helps the nerves aLOT :)

dafamcallsmebj
03-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Not with an ukulele.

thats cool vince...
i try to go to pifa every year....
i dance here in san diego too...
what halau do u dance with??

i think my first uke performance was with my cuzin and nukedoc at a luau....
pretty fun!!
before performance i get bad naseau... but as soon as i start.. its gone..

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-16-2008, 09:37 PM
I could perform at school infront of the whole grade, i need to be brtter though. It would be heaps fun ^^

Guting
03-16-2008, 09:56 PM
I did a tenor sax solo in japan a couple years back,

huge concert hall in Mie.

wow I was mad nervous on the first note you could hear the shakey involuntary vibrato, but after that I just went go charge em.

BigBruddahJ
03-17-2008, 03:21 AM
It wasn't so much performing as it was people just being around while I made music. If someone actually pointed out the people to me, I think I'd puke.

bof
03-17-2008, 08:46 AM
if you are in the streets of Barcelona this summer, you can see a friend and me playing guitar and ukulele for zigarettes and alcohol!

vince
03-17-2008, 04:19 PM
thats cool vince...
i try to go to pifa every year....
i dance here in san diego too...
what halau do u dance with??

i think my first uke performance was with my cuzin and nukedoc at a luau....
pretty fun!!
before performance i get bad naseau... but as soon as i start.. its gone..
Hey BJ,
How's it going?!
I've been dancing and drumming with Heali'i's Polynesian Revue for a little over a year now. It's a lot of fun and agreat work out. How about you?

dirk.li
05-12-2009, 01:02 PM
I've done it one time so far, in front of about 150 people. I played three songs - each on another ukulele - at an Open Mic event in my city. Before the show I was REALLY NERVOUS, but when I was sitting there on stage, I was suddenly very relaxed and easy.
I think the key to a good performance in front of an audience is to really know the songs you're going to play VERY WELL. Best to learn them by heart!! Then nothing can go wrong... (I didn't, I had some trouble reading the lyrics in the bad lighting conditions on stage, so next time I WILL learn the songs by heart!!)

A friend of mine filmed my live performance (if you like to take a look):

"Ein Hotdog unten am Hafen" (a German song by "Element of Crime")
on a Pono Mango Tenor (I used adhesive tape to fix a removable passive pickup on the uke - it worked, but it's not a quality solution!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmsFK8hGIyE&fmt=18

"It's probably me" (Sting)
on a white Kala Color Concert (it has an active pickup)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnghUmHHD0E&fmt=18

"Somewhere over the rainbow & What a wonderful world" (Bruddha Iz)
on a Brüko Concert (with geared tuners & passive pickup)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQR8sMBuM58&fmt=18

Sparrow
05-12-2009, 01:07 PM
I play uke (Flea) in 2 bands: an indie folk band, and a Serbian Gypsy band. I play 1 or 2 shows a month, in front of crowds ranging from about 25 - 250.

People often ask what my instrument is.

salukulady
05-12-2009, 01:18 PM
just a few times in front of my family gatherings. about 60-70 people. so i guess that makes it a crowd. not in front of strangers yet. have to build up the guts to do that someday.Hey Russ, 60-70 people constitutes an audience....related or not.

I had done lots of stuff in High School theatre, choir, and band, and for many years I ran a children's performing group where I had to get on stage and talk or sing with them. But my stage fright since starting ukulele was REALLY bad. Getting up in front of peers at a jam and playing a solo mortified me, but I made myself do it. Since joining the band I play in, the stage fright has really lessened, and I'm really having fun now. Positive audience response REALLY helps, (and a shot or two of rum.)

buddhuu
05-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Gigging regularly with the band, and loving it. :)

Uncle-Taco
05-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Not on uke.
I have been in a couple of very successful bands where I had large gigs, and I still regularly (once or twice a week) play out in small clubs.

I played in front of 5000 people at a huge blues festival, which DID make me nervous (too many professionals watching!), but I have been just as nervous in front of 15 people as I have in front of thousands. I've also been totally at ease in front of thousands. Why?

As others have said, it's all about preparation...mental as well as musical! ;)

Polido
05-13-2009, 08:41 AM
in future a really like to paly for a crowd... it's my dream

hawaiianmusiclover06
05-13-2009, 11:15 AM
I just did my first performance on the 'ukulele with my 'ukulele school and we had about 50 students including myself. My first performance on the 'ukulele was on Valentine's Day, February 14th where I had to perform for a large crowd close to 2000 people at the first annual Japan-Hawaii Ukulele Picnic at Kaka'ako Waterfront Park. I was nervous.

CoLmes
05-13-2009, 11:42 AM
yup.
a few open mics, more to come.
some busking.
and when i'm bored and don't have my singer with me i'll go by the ocean on a bench and just jam to songs from my song book i'm making.

MattHaaaaa
05-13-2009, 11:45 AM
i have but only in our school orchestra we are cooooll:shaka:

buddhuu
05-13-2009, 12:29 PM
i have but only in our school orchestra we are cooooll:shaka:

Nothing "only" about that. It's as much a band as any other. :music:

05-13-2009, 12:34 PM
I've played in an open mic before... I was shy at first, but when I got to my 3rd song I got comfortable. It was nerve wrecking that's for sure. I haven't done it ever since. I want to try again.

samsam
05-13-2009, 12:57 PM
ive played a few shows.pretty weird how it happened. I was on vacation in the big island and i was just playing my uke and watching a perfermance at my hotel. they did another show at the hotels resteaurant later that day and as i was watching they told me to come play with them.we played a bunch of traditional hawaiian songs including some IZ and even some george harrison.later after were talking about each other and where we were from and such.their names were Aunty TuTu and Uncle Kaleo.they then invited me and my family to go to a luau and bring my uke.i played the show with them and it was so much fun.a few days later i played another show at the resteaurant again.it was all a life changing expeirience and its something ill never forget

megamatt
05-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Some of you might remember me hopping on and chatting a lot last year. I was going to play at an annual camping trip with some friends but I just didn't have the time to invest in learning songs to the degree necessary to play in front of people and I got pretty bummed about it. Now I'm layed off and have had nothing but time and playing the uke has really helped to pass the time, that and Mega Man 9. But I'm really happy with my progress and a buddy of mine (who is just an incredible guitar player) was really excited too because he wants someone to play with regularly. Now almost a year later I'm ready to play at this years camping trip. I'm really excited about it and having a blast prepping for it.

Bruddah Kekoa
05-13-2009, 01:39 PM

...Tenderfoot here...lol. I have performed for small groups of friends and once on a stage, but I felt like a super 3rd or 4th tier entertainer. Feeling like, "Ummm...if there's anyone out there who can do this better, you're welcomed to give it a shot." Perhaps performing with a band is a better fit for me right now...strength in numbers!

Ahnko Honu
05-13-2009, 02:06 PM
As a dinner cruise host I used to perform 2 shows a night 3 to 5 times a week but not 'ukulele, used to dance Hula, Tamure (Tahitian), and Maori for, and with tourists. Only kanikapila with small groups of friends.

Pippin
05-13-2009, 02:36 PM
I have played with some pretty big people (guitar). I'd guess the biggest crowd would be about ten thousand. No worries. To me, I turn my focus entirely on the music. I used to sing lead in my own band and played some lead guitar on occasion, but, then I walked away from the "band" and started doing singles gigs for much smaller audiences and had a blast talking with the "fans" afterward. The folk music scene is much more subdued and pleasant to me.

Nate95
05-13-2009, 05:23 PM
so far just a couple of fund raisers and in my youth groups praise band.

ThePunkWay
05-13-2009, 07:39 PM
not on the uke, but then again... i suck.... hopefully that'll change soon.. i'm getting a new KoAloha Concert, so hopefully the nice tonal quality will make me look better than i am.... my plucky, almost banjo-ey sounding osar schmidt just isn't cutting it....

oh yeah.. i was in band and guitar throughout elementary and middle school, so i always performed, but in big groups.... smallest one was the guitar class of 8

haole
05-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Played violin from 5th grade through high school. Two concerts a year. In my last semester of senior year I was finally first chair in the orchestra. :B

Also backed up some friends on guitar at open mics.

Closest thing I ever got to a public performance on ukulele was waiting for my delayed flight from Lihue to San Francisco. I took out the Kamoa I bought a few days earlier and just played guitar stuff on it since I didn't know any uke stuff at the time. Had the attention of everyone at my gate.

salukulady
05-13-2009, 08:36 PM
I have played with some pretty big people (guitar). I'd guess the biggest crowd would be about ten thousand. No worries. To me, I turn my focus entirely on the music. I used to sing lead in my own band and played some lead guitar on occasion, but, then I walked away from the "band" and started doing singles gigs for much smaller audiences and had a blast talking with the "fans" afterward. The folk music scene is much more subdued and pleasant to me.

Performed in front of ten thousand? Geez, who is this masked hobbit?

camface
10-06-2009, 10:44 AM
I don't think this counts, but I've lead worship at church several times using my ukulele. It's not really perfoming, but I was playing the uke in front of a congregation of about 60 people.

How did your church respond to the uke? I'm guessing it was a contemporary service!

djny
10-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Yes. Got it out of my system in my early 20s. :cheers:

Big_e
10-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Not with the uke. A few guys and I played in front of small groups at the local used book store with classical guitars. We played to teach each other riffs and lessons and break out into music once in awhile and costumers would scuttle around to listen. It was cool.
Ernest

nukulele0
10-07-2009, 05:49 PM
not yet with the uke, but i have performed several times for my classical guitar class (about 20 people) doesn't really count but i would get so nervous my fingers would sweat and slide of the strings when i used free stroke :o

MisoHappy
10-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Twice in the past at the 36th and 37th anuual Ukulele festivals at the Kapiolani Park Bandstand, and every Sunday on my worship team :D

ricdoug
10-07-2009, 08:54 PM
I was playing the uke in front of a congregation of about 60 people.

You have definately performed in front of a crowd! Ric

ricdoug
10-07-2009, 08:56 PM
one of few fears that i have. performing on stage. something i seriously need to overcome. working at it though.

so yes, i have.

Your fear does not show, Arvin. I've watched you perform more than once. You're a pro. Ric

ricdoug
10-07-2009, 08:59 PM

Yo tambien, braddah! Ric

ricdoug
10-07-2009, 09:03 PM
yep! its easy when i know some people or if the person before me sucks, but when i have to follow some one good i freak out!

We followed a top notch jazz band at an art faire last month. We all complemented their playing and told them they would be a hard band to follow. They stayed for our set and cheered us on. We did the same for the next band. Lot's of aloha among musicians that day. Ric

ricdoug
10-07-2009, 09:26 PM
i've only performed with a uke once.

my friend, philip, and i performed "baby got back" ...i screwed up the words...and messed up on the uke...but it was still fun. haha.

More than once, braddah! Ima' witness. Lotsa' wahines cheerin' ya' on. Remember the Bakit Why picnic at the Bolsa Chica State Beach?:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/BakitWhy6.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/BakitWhy10.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/BakitWhy11.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/BakitWhy12.jpg

ricdoug
10-07-2009, 09:30 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/BakitWhy13.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/BakitWhy14.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/BakitWhy16.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/BakitWhy17.jpg

ricdoug
10-07-2009, 09:31 PM
I even jammed with y'all:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3261/2802115577_61974b815c.jpg

ricdoug
10-07-2009, 09:46 PM
I did most of my performing with my old singing group. mostly R&B and acapella stuff.

You also do quite a good job with your band Almost Islanders and Your brother Arvin (Nuke Doc). My wife and myself witnessed that:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/mosislandgrind1.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/mosislandgrind2.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/mosislandgrind3.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/mosislandgrind4.jpg

ricdoug
10-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Remember these two rockers?:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/mosislandgrind9.jpg

Brewerpaul
10-08-2009, 12:26 AM
Yes, many times, but not on Uke (yet)
A great way to get over stage fright is to go somewhere outdoors and public, eg a city park, and just play. Strangers will wander by and listen. Since they're not a "real" audience, they'll be a lot less intimidating. Chances are that even if you're a newbie they'll really enjoy what you're doing and ask questions about your uke..

ukulele2544
10-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Yes, I did it 2 times.

uke142464
10-08-2009, 12:50 AM
every week, at least two open mics since two summers ago, and one song on the small stage at the philly folk fest at the martin guitar contest (wasn't uking)

ogikloavailable
10-08-2009, 04:40 AM
I havent. Just a few friends of mine.
:iwant:
But i have performed in front of a crowd about 7 times as a Drummer

cashew
10-08-2009, 04:54 AM
Eek, going to my first open mic tonight... With the UU folks :) Yay.

FHS-72
10-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Been doing it for a couple of months now. A couple of us that jam at the friday night kanikapila here at the Hawaiian Style Grill in Sac started a band and we've had a couple of gigs. We've also done 2 summer blowouts here for the grill with all the kanikapila people and hula dancers. Our last one even had Dominator and Hippie guy. Performing on stage is great up until it's my turn to sing, then I start to get real nervous. I'm getting used to it though. It's just a confidence thing.:music:

luke'nlele
10-08-2009, 07:59 AM
In the last eight months, since we started playing, we've played onstage twice, in two different groups. The two of us haven't played by ourselves in front of anybody except for a few family members.We'd like to learn enough to try an open mic sometime or to post to youtube.

CulpRJ
10-08-2009, 08:24 AM
I do it as much as possible. I love being the centre of attention. Here's a video of my band performing a classic Rolling Stones tune:
You Can't Always Get What You Want (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_U2JAdye1o)
I also perform solo:
Sixteen Tons (http://www.youtube.com/my_playlists?pi=0&ps=20&sf=&sa=0&sq=&dm=0&p=81809B3984A1B860#)

faithtruthlove07
10-08-2009, 08:39 AM
I play at church a lot. I also organized a small [VERY SMALL] benefit concerts for one of my friends going on a mission trip. my "audience" raised 60-some dollars :D I sat on a fold-out chair under a tiny pavillion at a tiny park and about 12 of my family and friends gathered round to listen haha. :cool:

Skrik
10-08-2009, 08:52 AM
I'm a teacher. Nuff said.

cocohonk
10-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Nerves, man. But, who knows? Maybe, someday.

EucalyptusMint
10-08-2009, 02:49 PM
On piano, yep. Uke, nope
I started performing when I was 6, made my jump to a real crowd (1000 people!!) when I was 9. That was exciting lol

Rick Turner
10-08-2009, 05:02 PM
To about 10,000 people at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival playing backup guitar with Ian and Sylvia. A number of tunes from that set are on "Ian and Sylvia at Newport" (funny title...) on Vanguard Records. My knees were knocking...but I guess I played OK.

Now it's just as an occasional member of the Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz house warm up band...about three or four times a year. It's a whole lot of fun. Got a fantastic band together for the November meeting. We may even do James Brown's "Sex Machine"...along with the "Banana Boat Song"...I wanted the Stan Freeberg version...

clayton56
10-08-2009, 08:55 PM
not on uke though, usually banjo strumming or mandolin.

The best time, a Russian folk trio with a singer, a guitar, and myself on antique roundback mandolin. The crowd went wild because the guy was singing in Russian (sort of like Jamie Lee Curtis in "A Fish Called Wanda".

The biggest crowd, auditorium sized, everyone polite but there for a benefit. We did our New Orleanish jazz hybrid and I was keeping time on banjo (with the occasional melodic lead).

The worst time was the first time, where we played in front of an outdoor crowd. The band was a hodgepodge of friends of friends of the organizers and everybody and his brother was on stage creating a horrible dissonance. Finally we got egged and as we left, I found out that someone had unplugged my amp to use the outlet for their own amp and didn't say anything about it.

Ahnko Honu
10-15-2009, 07:24 AM
As a dinner cruise host I used to perform 2 shows a night 3 to 5 times a week but not 'ukulele, used to dance Hula, Tamure (Tahitian), and Maori for, and with tourists. Only kanikapila with small groups of friends.

I almost forgot, had to dance hula at a convention in Honolulu in front of a crowd of almost 15,000 people. :eek: This was back in 1973.

spazus_maximus
10-15-2009, 07:35 AM
I only perform for smurf's & garden gnomes....They can get a bit rowdy though...

bunnyflower
10-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Singing and dancing yes, ukulele no, but I am signed up to play in our "Staff Talent Show" next week with my best friend. Hopefully I'm not in over my head, and hope we won't be too nervous on a stage!

*practice practice practice*

ukantor
10-15-2009, 07:57 AM
I don't like getting up on a stage to "perform" for an audience, but I have a regular gig (my only gig) when I play love songs all night for the diners at a friend's restaurant every Valentine's Eve.

I have no problem providing live background music, but when there is an audience sitting there staring at me, my mind plays tricks, and my fingers do strange things. I know I could overcome this simply by getting used to it, but I've decided I don't want to be a "performer".

Ukantor.

ukecantdothat
10-15-2009, 09:21 AM
I used to be a guitar slingin' rocker/bluesman/progressive guy "back in the day" so I got all the stage nerves out then. Then life happened and the live gigs became a chore and slowly faded into the background. Fast forward... I took up the ukulele, or rather, it took me up, a couple of years ago and I couldn't put the little guy down. I still play blues/rock/prog, etc. but on a smaller scale. Guess it's in my genes. At work one day, someone dropped Jake's first CD on my workstation because I reminded him of the style. My jaw dropped and I told him I couldn't play like that if my life depended on it. What this guy heard in my style was what I call the "anti-Tiny Tim" effect. They can't believe it's a uke they're hearing. Now the instrument is exploding, thanks to people like Jake. Recently a friend I've been playing with since high school asked if I would be in a band with him - he would play steel drum, I would play guitar - doing calypso, soca, reggae, pop, etc. I told him I would love to, but only if I could play nothin' but uke. "Even better," he said. We've done a few gigs and it's every bit as exciting as any rock gig I've done.

Rock on, bruddah!

Pippin
10-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Recently a friend I've been playing with since high school asked if I would be in a band with him - he would play steel drum, I would play guitar - doing calypso, soca, reggae, pop, etc. I told him I would love to, but only if I could play nothin' but uke. "Even better," he said. We've done a few gigs and it's every bit as exciting as any rock gig I've done.

Rock on, bruddah!

I know a lot of people with a similar story to tell. Seems a lot of old rockers out there have settled into a more domesticated lifestyle, but the music never lets go...

ukecantdothat
10-15-2009, 01:13 PM
I know a lot of people with a similar story to tell. Seems a lot of old rockers out there have settled into a more domesticated lifestyle, but the music never lets go...
Nope. Once it's in the blood, it's there to stay. Music: the true opiate of the masses!