Restringing help - one tuner different than the other 3?

macfish

Reaction score
Relative newbie here, restrung a Pono once, and if I recall correctly, when done, the top two tuners g & c turned the same way to tighten/loosen, and the bottom two e & a also turned together.
Restringing my new tenor last night, it seems that G turns toward me to tighten, c turns away, then e and a both also turn toward me. (all while holding the uke in playing position. Did I mess up the c string somehow and start it the wrong way? Seems like they should all match?
Notice in the photo how the C tuner seems turned in more than the other three.
Advise welcome!

Attachments

• Tuner2.jpg
    Tuner2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 55
  • Tuner1.jpg
    Tuner1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 33
Your G string string (4th string, which is closest to your face) is wrapped around the wrong way.The other three are correct, from center of headstock to tuner. Your G string is from the outside or perimeter of head stock to tuner.

thanks, I'll double check that. Thought I remembered that the top two should match direction and the bottom two should match but in the opposite direction.

thanks, I'll double check that. Thought I remembered that the top two should match direction and the bottom two should match but in the opposite direction.
They should all go to the inside of the tuner. There isn't top one way, bottom the other. Like Dave said, that one string is wrong, the other three are right.

Different manufacturers use different geared tuners.

My first "budget" ukulele, a Kala KA-CEM the top 2 tuners, (g and c), had to be turned in the opposite direction, (2 clockwise, 2 counterclockwise), to the bottom 2 tuners, (e and a), to tighten the strings.

My new ukulele, a Pono MCD all the tuners turn the same way to tighten the strings, (all counter-clockwise), which is a lot better :)

In fact, when you have strung the g properly, they will all turn counterclockwise to tighten, which is how it should be.

Last edited:
My first "budget" ukulele, a Kala KA-CEM the top 2 tuners, (g and c), had to be turned in the opposite direction, (2 clockwise, 2 counterclockwise), to the bottom 2 tuners, (e and a), to tighten the strings.

That's odd, I've had low-end Lanikai, Kala and Makalas with geared tuners and they all turn the same way as higher end ukes. Are you sure the strings were wrapped to the inside of the headstock?
IMG_20150513_191344597.jpg

And then there are Martins....

Attachments

• IMG_20150528_101311228.jpg
    IMG_20150528_101311228.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom