Capo for Kala Bass uke?

Mainemusicalgal

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a capo that would work on a Kala Bass uke with silver rumbler strings? Thanks!

Just curious, why would you want to capo a bass?

To me it's so easy to change keys on a bass, I don't get why a capo would be needed because the patterns used by the bass player are the same no matter what chord is being played. I've been playing bass with The CC Strummers ukulele group for the last year and one of the specific things our leader does at our twice a week meetings is to change keys during a song. She provides sheets with chord diagrams on the side for each key, I have to follow on my own for the bass, the chords listed make it easy to switch to the next key. I've made a point of learning the notes on the fretboard, and even drew up the fretboard with all the notes that I hang on my music stand just to be sure.

Basses don't need capo-ing in general so I dont think there are any designed for them.

Besides, on a UBASS, it will mess up your tone and intonation too much

I agree with other posters, but if it is just to use as a visual indicator you might just use something like hair elastics or a rubber band. That would do nothing to the sound (If it's not to tight) but it does give you an idea where the nut would have been. As I said that would just give you a visual aid, where you could base your patterns on. As you would play single notes on a bass a capo just does not make sense.

The OP has not been back to reply, so I hope we have not scared them off. I honestly did not know if the goal was to actually capo like one would on a guitar, or to create a drone (open) note to be used under a melody line. Or perhaps it is something creative I haven't thought of, which would make the question even more interesting.

But the previous replies are correct - generally bassists do not need a capo since we are mostly playing single note lines (with occasional double stops). I think it was advice by Carol Kay (read in a magazine many years ago) saying that most of the notes she played on bass were between the 5th and 7th frets. Amazingly enough a great deal of the cover songs the band plays has me rooted at the 5th or 7th fret. That bit of advice combined with learning my scales using no open strings made playing in cover bands so much easier, especially when someone wanted to change keys (sure I can do that it Db, no problem).

Best to the original poster, and to all who replied.

Top Bottom