Spruce...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I just bought a load of tops from Old Standard Wood. John was jawing with me and said, "We had thousands of uke tops lying around for years and just in the last 4 months they have nearly all gone..." I know of at least one person here (to my surprise) has purchased red spruce so fess up, who has had the other 2900 or so sets? Is the spruce top/exotic hardwood back and sides combo going to become the go t0 configuration for future ukulele? I hope so cos I have a lot of this stuff to get through now :)

i bought 7 off him 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the resource. I didn't know about Old Standard Wood.

I'm confused. Am I to understand that you guys are buying "sets", and not resawing your own?

I wondered when you were going to fess up Chuck... coming over to the dark side are we? :) :)

We get our spruce tops from Alaskan Specialty Woods, plain and bear claw. We buy big shipments of them, and I think they are around $10 over top. When possibly I try to convince people that the soft top and hard back and sides is the way to go, but its a bit of an uphill battle with ukulele folks. We also use Port Orford Cedar, Western Red Cedar, Engleman Spruce and Redwood.

Top Bottom