New Uke Build In Process (Ono AYC/Myrtle 16" Concert)

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
I'm excited to soon be receiving a 16" Ono Concert by luthier David Ingalls. We wanted something a bit different than what I already have, so we went with an Alaskan yellow cedar top on a stunning myrtle body. Appointments include ziricote fretboard and bridge, sound hole, Port Oxford cedar neck modeled after the Collings neck shape (my preferred neck), and a "stinger" stripe on neck.

Below are a few in-progress pics, though David tells me it's even better looking in-person as the pictures don't quite capture it. :drool:

22212997530_dcb6bb4195_c.jpg

22214152329_fce279c79a_c.jpg

22374993346_8a9557be59_c.jpg

Should be done in a month or so. Very much looking forward to it!

Congratulations! That myrtle is very cool, and Ono ukuleles have gotten great writeups in this forum. I'm working with David on a baritone that's still in the planning stages.

Great looking piece of myrtle Eddie. Love the neck with the stringer and curly myrtle headstock overlay. I have a sneeking suspicion that rossette is a knock out as well. I am in line for a 16" concert as well. David is such a great guy to work with. I am now like a cat on a hot tin roof.............waiting is hard.

Wow, wow,wow! I'm also looking forward to my Ono baritone build which will have a myrtle body and softwood top. Haven't decided on the top yet. Could be spruce but that cedar looks really nice.

@mds725, @DownUpDave, @JimHanks - Thank you. I see you are all men of impeccable taste (must be good looking, too!) -- I look forward to seeing your Ono's when done and hearing your thoughts.

@mds725, @DownUpDave, @JimHanks - Thank you. I see you are all men of impeccable taste (must be good looking, too!) -- I look forward to seeing your Ono's when done and hearing your thoughts.

We have a "Mutual Admiration Society" on the go here...........let me know your sizes and I will order the tee shirts :shaka:

Looking good! That myrtle is beautiful. No doubt David's right about it looking better in person. Wood usually does.

Very, very nice! Can't wait to see and hear it when it is finished!

You said the word, stunning! Interesting scale length. What tuning are you going to use and what strings?

What excitement. I've never had a custom Uke built but the anticipation of waiting on something special like that is torturous joy.

Absolutely gorgeous uke, I can't wait to hear what it sounds like!

You have said nothing about the string tuners. I have two myrtle ukes...one by Mike Pereira and the other by Les Stansell. Both are fitted with PEGHEDS. Since I am a distributor for them, to help you keep it as light as possible and still be geared for tuners, I will sell you a set at my cost. I prefer the ones with a 19mm shaft length rather than the 27.5 length which sticks out the back farther. check out www.ukeeku.com to see what he thinks about them, or you may get some chatter about them as a result of my "blatant attempt at a sale" Again like I said, my cost is your cost, so I don't see how someone can yip and fuss about that. Send me a private message if you want to know more, or get a set.
Grace and Peace
Bill Thompson

Top Bottom